3

dear beomgyu,

it was summer in 2011 when i first met you in a summer dance class in manila. you were a shy guy who isolates himself with other kids. i always wonder why you were silent and why weren't you being friends with other kids.

one time, i tried to talk to you but you just looked at me with confused eyes and then looked the other way. i was also confused because that time, i asked you what's your name but you didn't even say anything. i was wondering, does this kid know tagalog? i never talked to you again that day.

but you know what? i really really want to talk to you. i see something in you that i don't see in other kids. that's when i knew that you are korean and you don't understand tagalog. i smiled thinking i was a fool for asking your name in tagalog.

every kid in our class were amazed when you introduced yourself to us. you were good at speaking in english but your accent was a bit off for us, maybe because you are korean. some kids even laughed at how you pronounced some words but you just smiled and it was the very first time that i saw you smile.

the next day, we got to introduced ourselves to each other. not all kids want to talk to you, maybe because of your intimidating aura. it was only me who tried to talk and befriend you. when i asked your name again, i was glad that stood up and bowed while saying hello. i don't understand why you bowed to me but i also bowed to you in confusion.

again, you smiled beautifully and said your name, beomgyu.