Chapter 2 - Sam

Sam's mate snarled, flashing his teeth and threatening to spill blood.

[Move it, Sam!] Cameron snapped his jaws at Sam and pushed him aside.

[No! I won't let you hurt him!]

[Didn't you get the memo? We're under attack! He's with them!]

The silver-gray wolf turned from them and ran as they bickered.

Cameron swore, barking at him to get his ass back there before kicking his paws up and sprinting after him.

[Please, Cam! Don't hurt him!] Sam pleaded as he bound after them.

[I can't let him get through, Sam!] Cameron caught up to the silver-gray wolf in seconds and sank his teeth into his hind leg.

Sam's mate yowled in pain, twisting around and snapping his jaws at Cameron's face.

[Please, stop! Please, jus-just let me try and talk with him!] Sam whined, circling around them and nipping at Cameron's face and hind legs—anywhere he could get Cameron's attention without physically hurting him.

[Back off, Sam!] Cameron growled as Sam's mate tried to kick himself free.

As much as Sam pleaded with Cameron, neither one of them would back down. He watched, helplessly, as Cameron's mixed-gray wolf fought with his silver-gray mate, biting and kicking, tearing flesh and splattering blood everywhere. Cameron was strong and well-trained, one of the higher-ranking warriors of the pack and he was hurting his mate.

[Please, please, don't kill him!] Sam whined, gagging on the smell of Cameron's and his mate's blood splattering all over each other.

[Fuck off!] Cameron snarled as Sam's mate slipped free and darted through the trees.

They sprinted after him and Cameron pounced, slamming him to the ground. Throwing all his weight onto the silver-gray wolf and sinking his jaws into his right hind leg. He pulled it out of socket as a yowl of agony split the air.

Sam fell to the ground, his mate's pain breaking him down as he cried. His body heaved with the painful sight before him. His best friend was killing his only hope at love and happiness. He couldn't watch any longer as Cameron turned and broke his mate's front leg as well. Bile climbed up his throat and through his wracking sobs, he hurled as his mate screamed once more before he fell silent.

Exhausted, Sam felt himself shift back into his human form. He lay in a heap on the ground and could barely lift his head. The only thing giving him the strength to do so was the sound of his mate's heartbeat.

Cameron shifted, falling to his knees and panting as Sam's mate slowly morphed into his human form. He was still alive, just unconscious and severely wounded. He looked over at Sam, blood coating his naked body as he tried to regain himself.

Finding the strength to drag himself to his mate's side, he looked down at the male. Despite the blood, mud, and dirt that coated his body, he was beautiful. Shoulder-length dirty blond hair, a beard, thick muscular arms and legs, broad shoulders, and tattoos all across his upper body. They were hard to see under all the filth. He brushed his fingers across the flesh. Warm. Alive.

"How could you?" His voice was a breathy whisper as he looked up at Cameron across from him. "How could you, Cam?" His voice rose. "He's my mate!"

Cameron grimaced, clenching his fists at his side. His unusual amber eyes narrowed as he clenched his jaw. "He breached the border and wasn't listening to you! What would you have me do? Let him attack Olivia? Let him reach the pack house and kill someone? Come on! Pick him up. We have to get out of here."