Chapter 24 - Mik (Part 2)

Song: "Remeber Everything" by Five Finger Death Punch

----

A thin layer of ice coated the walls and the corner Mik pissed and shit in and was hosed down every so often—maybe once a day, he couldn't be sure. The cells stank even more with the frozen moisture and lingering odors of excrements.

At least they let him stay in his wolf form to keep warm. There was no heat in the basement and the subzero temperatures would have probably killed him slowly in his human form. He wasn't chained to the ground like last time, but a pronged collar embedded with silver was around his neck and chained to the floor.

All but the really deep wounds from his fight with Noodin had healed. He licked them clean but his heart ached. He knew he was no match against the older male but at least he made it clear that he wouldn't go down without a fight. At least he had that little bit of dignity to hold onto.

He missed Sam. He missed his smell. He missed the comfort his presence brought, even though he had been unconscious. He missed talking to him even though he couldn't talk back, pretending he could hear him and understand where he was coming from and that he was trying. Trying to be there for him. Trying to take care of him. Trying to be more than the worthless piece of shit that he was.

He saw it coming though, and he didn't blame him when Sam rejected him. He deserved it. Sam deserved better.

Trying wasn't good enough.

All he ever did was fuck up. Fuck up and fuck around. Those were the only two things he was good at—that he excelled at.

And Sam deserved better.

The front door upstairs opened and murmuring voices were heard over the boots thumping on the floor overhead.

Boots and a wheelchair.

His ears perked up.

Sam?

Standing up, his tail began to wag. He lifted his nose and dragged air into his lungs, trying to find Sam's scent. He strained his ears for any hint to indicate that it was Sam above. He heard Noodin's voice and Luna Aki talking with the guard and working together to get the person in the wheelchair into the cabin, but the fourth person was silent. Rapid heartbeats drummed indistinguishably from the others, giving him no further information.

He knew. Deep down, he knew that Sam was in that wheelchair. Who else would come to this place in the middle of nowhere in a wheelchair?

He threw his head back and howled, the chain tugging on the collar and digging the prongs through his fur and pinching his neck.

He heard a whimper upstairs—it sounded like Sam. Mik's tail wagged harder and he threw his head back again in a howl, his soul calling out to his mate.

The wheelchair was locked into place overhead while Noodin's boots tromped across the floorboards to the staircase.

"Yes, yes, I'm coming," the older male said as he pulled the door open and began his descent.

When he stepped in front of Mik's cell, key in hand, he said, "I'm sure you've figured out why we are here. Sam wants to talk. I will remove the collar so you can shift and speak but as soon as you've shifted, I'm putting handcuffs on. You're still a prisoner unless otherwise stated. If you run or attack anyone, I will come after you. Understood?"

Mik plunked his rump next to the door and pawed at it. His ears were folded back in submission as he waited for Noodin to put the key into the lock and turn it. He waited for Noodin to open the door. Caution mirrored his movements as if he was half expecting Mik to attack or bolt. No points would be scored if Mik tried to screw around with Noodin—not with him or Sam. If he stood a chance at all now with Sam, he had to be good.