Chapter 23 - Sam (Part 2)

Luna stayed with Sam for several hours, comforting him, talking gently with him, telling him about the pup growing inside her. He got to feel the tiny female kick and it brought tears to his eyes. He was so glad she was feeling better and could enjoy her pregnancy now. At the same time, he was sad. He'd never have a pup of his own.

Late in the afternoon, her nine-year-old son, Animkii came home from school and visited. A sweet and thoughtful male, he was glad to see Sam awake.

They avoided the topic of Mik, even though the room was saturated in his scent. Luna and Animkii's scents surrounded him in a loving embrace and helped to ward off the one that made his heart ache.

Eloise and Heather even came in and he almost burst into tears when he saw how big Heather's belly was getting.

"How long was I out?" He was afraid to ask but needed to know. Heather looked like she would pop any minute. No one expected her to come close to full-term with the triplets but she looked as though she wasn't too far away from delivery.

"Two months. About eight weeks and 2 days. It was exactly eight weeks ago today that Mik was brought in from the cells, if I'm not mistaken," Eloise said, looking to Heather for confirmation. She nodded.

His heart sank into his gut. "Mik?" He didn't want to talk about him but the fact that he'd been unconscious for two months with Mik by his side almost the entire time was unfathomable.

Eloise and Heather nodded, glancing at Luna with an air of caution.

"You would have died if not for that male," Eloise said. "After Dr. Waaban's insistence and two resuscitations, Alpha agreed to allow Mik to stay at your side, but he was not permitted to leave this room except to use the washroom."

Heather was nodding, her face solemn before she grimaced and leaned back at the end of Sam's bed to stretch out her spine. "They're playing footsie again. Goddess help me with these three."

"Fighting for position already." Eloise shook her head with an amused smirk on her face. "Good luck."

Thankfully, the conversation turned away from Mik, even though Sam's thoughts repeatedly strayed to him.

He was with him the whole time? He would have died without him? He cut his hair?

'He's fighting for you, Sam,' Luna's words repeated in his head.

Why? Why was he fighting for him now? After he threw away what they had created by betraying him? Was guilt eating him alive? It should if it wasn't.

But guilty or not, Sam didn't want to be with someone who wouldn't treasure him. He gave Mik and their bond a chance and it didn't work out. Sam would never be what Mik wanted and needed.

It was better to let it go and move on.

Even if Mik was the one responsible for saving his life. He owed Mik that, like he owed Luna, Alpha, and Cameron for saving his life many years ago.

But what difference did it make whether he lived or died now? Why did they all want him to live when he just wanted to end the suffering?

When Alpha returned with fresh cuts and bandages on his face and arms, the nurses excused themselves to return to their work. The room was too crowded for the seven of them and the four beds, even though two were pushed to the side and the other was two feet away from Sam's, loaded with Mik's scent with a cookbook on top.

Alpha entered with Dr. Waaban at his side. Everyone stood aside as the pack doctor checked him out and put his hand on his shoulder when he was done. "Looking good, but it will take you a while to rebuild your strength back up, just like it did with Cameron. You remember that?"