🎤 Four: My Truth Would Suck Without You

Nothing's wrong, I swear. -Freddy aka Alex

PS. You can't say you met a guy at Playhouse and then give me nothing. Come on, I want details! You're usually more open about this kind of stuff. Ohhh I get it. You want to keep him all to yourself. Fine. I'll let it go for now, but sooner or later I'll get it out of you. ;)

Her BFF was going through something

Her BFF was going through something. Anyone with functioning brain cells could tell. That's why she suggested the notebook at the beginning of summer.

Oh, sure they could have traded texts or emails or even started a secret blog, but the notebook felt more concrete, more real than technology. Perhaps it was because you wrote what you wrote and that was it. No self-editing. It made you more honest—even with yourself.

However, the notebook wasn't working. Not the way Alexx envisioned. They shared crushes—okay, that was all her—and stories that had Alexx giggling, but nothing honest and raw and of true value.

And worse, after the Playhouse meeting, Alex had distanced herself even farther. She stopped sitting with them at lunch and didn't stick around in the morning for their usual locker hang out. It was enough to give a girl a complex which she couldn't afford because auditions were Sunday and she needed to nail her performance as Maria.

Alexx tapped her pen on the dining room table and studied the list she'd made.

How to Fix Freddy

1. Tie her up with duct tape and force her to talk

2. Pray she'll see the errors of her way and come back

3. Convince a shaman to perform voodoo on her

     3a. Find out if shaman's perform voodoo

     3b. Does voodoo work that way? If not, find another mystical power

          i. This would be so much easier if I got my wizarding letter at eleven like I was supposed to!!

4. Lure her back by standing under her bedroom window and blasting Broadway songs

      4a. Make a heart shape out of candles and stand in middle

           i. Find out if it's a possible fire hazard

The front door opened, and a pack of hungry boys descended onto the kitchen like it was their homing beacon. It was a good thing she already had a sandwich or else she would've had to salvage the scraps.

She perked up when she caught sight of Owen. He wasn't anywhere as good-looking as the guy she met at Playhouse—he was a sucker punch to the heart—but Owen had his own charm.

The few times they'd talked, he'd made her laugh with his stories about growing up on a ranch. Plus, there was something about a guy with defined biceps that made her knees weak. Alexx patted her hair, making sure it hadn't gone wild in the last hour and swiped on another coat of pink lipgloss.