🎤 Eight: Girl, There Ain't No Weird in "Team"

My mom has been at work a lot more—like a lot more. Even working on weekends which is strange because she's never done that before. I get we need the money, but isn't there some law against overworking an employee? My dad isn't happy about the extra hours either. They hardly spend time with each other as is. Now it's like living at a train station with two people coming and going at all hours. Being an adult sounds complicated. What do you say we stay teens forever? -Freddy aka Alex

Whoever said patience was a virtue had obviously never walked in Alexx's shoes because as far as she could tell, patience was agony

Whoever said patience was a virtue had obviously never walked in Alexx's shoes because as far as she could tell, patience was agony. She'd promised to give her best friend space, but when Alex didn't talk to her or pick up their notebook on Monday, she knew she was in trouble.

It was a shame too because she'd made a super cute post. She'd even decorated the page in stickers and little hearts asking for forgiveness. Even her meme texts were being ignored, which was a knife to the gut. How could anyone stay mad at an adorable panda blowing kissy faces?

Tuesday went pretty much the same way and today wasn't much better; however, she did get a small wave. Well, kind of. Technically Alex waved at the group, but she swore it was directed at her. Of course, when she smiled and waved back, Alex nodded like they were strangers on the street and walked away.

Okay, so things weren't looking great. That was fine. It was all FINE.

Ugh. Alexx slumped over the back of the couch in defeat. It wasn't fine. She wasn't used to being ignored. Sure, they had tiffs as everyone does but never anything like this. She wanted her best friend back. Was that too much to ask?

A backpack dropped onto the cushion by her head. "Watch it," she yelled through her hair which was hanging over her face. Probably Seth and his little minions home from soccer practice.

"What's wrong with you?" the bane of her existence asked.

Her hair was moved to the side as freaking Arlo bent at the waist, crooked his neck to the side, and looked at her with those chestnut brown eyes that should be illegal. They stared straight to the heart of someone and exposed their soul. She hated it. Every time she was around him, all her insecurities bubbled to the surface. She felt like a little girl again, all nerves and gangly limbs that made her as awkward as a new colt trying to walk.

Arlo knew what he did to her too. It was written all over his smug face. And worse, he reveled in his power. Continually pointing out her flaws like it was something to be proud of.

She remembered the first time they met. It was right after her mom had left Seth on the doorsteps. The whole household had been in a cloud of gloom. She'd been in her room, figuring out how to braid her hair and put on makeup, when she heard Arlo and Hugo coming down the stairs. Arlo laughed at something, and the sound was so contagious, so darn happy, she'd stuck her head out of her room to see who could make such a sound.

She'd been struck by his looks—who wouldn't be with his chiseled jaw and a wicked grin that made him appear like a dashing pirate with a devil-may-care attitude—but it was his laughter that had captured her young heart. She must have made a sound because suddenly he turned and stared right at her. Surprised, she squeaked, dropped her brush, and hid behind the door.