🎤 Seventeen: Had I Known How to Save a Soda

Have you read Lord of the Flies yet? I just read the back and OMG this book is nuttier than my aunt's banana bread! Basically, a plane with a group of boys is shot down over a remote tropical island. At first, they're thrilled to have unlimited freedom but then the bits of civilization they constructed falls apart and terror reigns.

Doesn't this sound like a horror novel rather than a piece of classic literature?! Dare I say I'm almost (and that's a very tiny almost) excited to read this but don't tell my project partner that because I'm pretty sure he'd lord it over my head until kingdom come. -Freddy aka Alex

Alexx stretched her legs onto the grass and sneezed

Alexx stretched her legs onto the grass and sneezed. Fall had come with a vengeance and of course, that meant the hot Santa Ana winds came with it, kicking up dust and pollen and who knows what else. She sneezed again just as Sloane and Bri settled down beside her.

"Sorry, it took so long," Sloane said. Lunch was already halfway over. "The line was killer. Here." Sloane handed over a burrito from the school's cafeteria. "They didn't have the rice and chicken you like so I got you the bean and cheese instead."

Alexx made a face as she took it. Didn't Sloane know bean and cheese was her least favorite? If it had been Alex, she would have chosen something she actually liked. "Thanks," she said, holding back a grimace as she bit in. She quickly washed it down with a diet cola, looking away from the judgmental eyes of her friends.

Sloane and Bri didn't "believe" in soda—whatever that meant. These were the times she missed Alex the most. Her best friend would have raised her own can for a cheer and then happily chugged it down with her. But she shouldn't complain, Alexx reminded herself as she watched Keya and Cleo sit at a nearby table. At least Sloane and Bri had stuck around, unlike Cleo, who had discarded her like a piece of toilet paper stuck to the bottom of her shoe.

Cleo glanced her way and gave a tiny wave when Keya wasn't looking. Alexx wondered for the hundredth time what Cleo saw in Keya. Alexx was a thousand—no, make that a million—times better than Keya. She would never have made Cleo scurry around like a squirrel to do her bidding.

Cleo didn't even like theater. When they were friends, Alexx had to bribe Cleo with candy to watch musicals. What was so special about Keya? What did she have, that Alexx didn't? And would her best friend fall under the same spell?

Sloane turned to look at who Alexx was waving at. "Since when did you start playing nice with Cleo?" Lines creased her forehead. "Are you two friends again?"

"I wouldn't go that far." Once a betrayer, always a betrayer. "We're...well, I don't know what we are. I was pumping her for drama club info, and now we say hi in the halls." She tried not to think about this new development because every time she did, she got more confused. Whoever said navigating friendships was easy was a friendless fool.

Sloane wrinkled her nose. "Surprised they're not holed up in Mrs. Piccola's room. Although why they would ask her of all teachers to be their advisor is beyond me. That lady doesn't do anything but sleep and smoke in the parking lot."