🧵 Nineteen: Is It Too Late to Say I'm Tangled Now?

If there's one thing, I can't stand its liars and betrayers. I don't care who they are or why they did it. It boils down to one thing—the truth—and the truth is, liars and betrayers all have a choice. It may be a hard one, but it's still a choice. That's why my sympathy card will never be given out. My mom had the option to stay and honor her commitment, but she didn't. I get that she felt trapped and depressed, but she chose to leave. That doesn't mean I don't love her, because against everything, I do, but I also can't stand her. -Georgie aka Alexx

Alex's legs started shaking uncontrollably as her hands turned ice cold

Alex's legs started shaking uncontrollably as her hands turned ice cold. "It's not what you think," she insisted, but in her heart, she knew that was a lie. It was worse—so much worse because Alex didn't have a reason not to tell her best friend. She kept Ravi a secret out of pure selfishness.

Alexx stood in the middle of the room like a statue—stiff and unyielding. "Then explain it to me because from where I'm standing, you kept Ravi from me."

She forced back the protest frothing in her mouth. Ravi wasn't hers to claim. He wasn't anyone's and the mere thought of Alexx stamping MINE across his forehead had her on edge. "We have a class together," Alex explained slowly. She swallowed, her fingers turning white as she mangled a swatch of blue velvet. "But we're not that close. Honestly, I didn't even know who he was for the longest time."

A dash of skepticism swept across Alexx's face. "How is that even possible?"

It seemed weird now, but back then, she was so wrapped up in her own world she never noticed Ravi. "Because he always had a hood up and bolted in and out of class like the Flash. He never talked and pretty much ignored everyone except for Keya and wow, talk about a shocker when I learned he was Keya's cousin—"

"Cousin?" Alexx screeched so high, Alex winced.

Rubbing her ears, she nodded. "He lives with her and her family."

Alexx stumbled over to the bed and sagged down like a pile of limp pasta. "What else don't I know?"

She bit her lower lip, contemplating what she could say and what she couldn't.

Alexx popped back up, her finger wagging. "Don't you dare leave anything out, Alex Canterbury! You owe me the truth." 

The last bit was like sandpaper against her skin. Why did she owe Alexx anything? But of course, she did what she always did and kept her mouth shut. "Okay, um, let me see." Buying herself time, Alex fiddled with one of the knobs on the sewing machine. "I don't even know where to start." 

"How about when you first talked?"

Alex's face grew hot as she thought about the first time she got a good look at him. She'd been mesmerized until he opened his mouth. "Well, to be honest, I thought he was a complete ass."

Her best friend's ears perked up as she shuffled to the edge of the bed. "No way. Ravi? I can't see that. What happened?" 

Alex started telling her about Ravi and Keya's awkward fight and then all the encounters after that, making sure to phrase things in a certain way, so she didn't give away how she felt about him which was confusing in itself. She was drawn to Ravi. There was no question about that, but why?