🧵 Sixteen: Why Truth Great 'Til They Gotta Be Great?

Ravi smiled at me today! I was telling him about that one time we won Wicked tickets. Do you remember that? We both had our cells dialing the radio station plus my brothers' phones and Bri and Sloane's. Everyone thought we were nuts for trying. Oh, ye of little faith. Not only did we win, but we also got a free dinner at that fancy Italian place. Of course, it was a romantic dinner for two, but we played it up, having the best time. You'll always be my first date ;) Now, if only I can get Ravi to be my second! -Georgie aka Alexx

 You'll always be my first date ;) Now, if only I can get Ravi to be my second! -Georgie aka Alexx

Alex stumbled back and blinked. "W-what are you doing here?" Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. He lived here. Asinine questions seemed to be her forte. "I mean, why are you here now?" Had he been wandering around parks again missing his family?

She realized how it sounded as his smirk faded, and he stepped away, his expression turning frosty. "Should I not be?" Her mouth was too busy catching up to her mind to respond, and he took her silence as an answer. Letting out a bitter chuckle, he crossed his arms over his chest. "Hopped on their bandwagon, huh? Don't want them knowing we're friends?"

"No!" Guilt stabbed her. Why did the wrong things tumble out of her mouth anytime he was around? "I mean how come—"

"Don't worry. I won't tell." His expression twisted. "Wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea."

Damn him. Why did he always jump to the wrong conclusion? She grabbed his arm, squeezing as if her words could penetrate through touch. "That's not what I meant. I—"

The front door opened. "Alex?" Keya called. "Is everything—oh. You're back."

Ravi's frost turned arctic, so much so that Alex shivered. "And to such a warm welcome." He brushed past Alex without another word. She wanted to call him back, explain she had a serious case of foot in mouth, but Keya stood in the doorway with a pinched look.

"You okay?" Keya asked before looking back in the house where the sounds of her mom shouting could be heard. Grimacing, Keya rubbed her palm over her jeans. "Did my cousin say something to you?"

"Ravi didn't do anything. I'm the one who..." The words dried up as she thought of the flash of hurt on his face.

Keya glanced back, then stepped out and quietly shut the door behind her. "Look, I know you two are buddy-buddy in class, but outside of school, Ravi is different. He's not someone you want to get mixed up with."

"What are you talking about?" Alex thought of the night on the swings and shook her head. "Ravi's a good guy. He's just..." Lonely. Painfully and utterly lonely. He had no friends and from what she could see no place to call home. This might be where he lived, but there were no pictures of him on the wall, nothing to indicate he was accepted and loved except for that doodle on his door.

Keya gave a sad sigh. "Deep down, he is a good guy, and despite what he might tell you, I like Ravi and think we'd be friends if things were different, but they're not."