🧵 Thirteen: Swing About It Somewhere Only We Know

You asked why I never told you about Cleo, and the truth is I don't know. Embarrassment? Hurt? A combo of both? All I know is Cleo was my best friend and then she didn't want to be around me anymore. On top of that, she left knowing the situation with my mom. I think that was the worst betrayal.

I've wanted to ask her why—what exactly did I do to drive her away—but I can't make myself. I have too much pride to lower myself for someone who throws me away like trash. Do you see now why I like Sloane and Bri? Unlike Cleo and my mom, they're always there for me. I trust them not to leave. I can't say the same for most people. -Georgie aka Alexx

Ravi's head snapped in her direction

Ravi's head snapped in her direction. His shoulders hunched as he leaned forward, trying to make out her face amongst the harsh shadows. "Alex?" he asked tentatively, inching closer.

"Hey, Ravi." Relief rushed through her as well as a healthy dose of surprise. "W-What are you doing here?" That was a stupid question. He was walking. Obviously. She tried to turn it into a joke. "Seeing the sights?"

She mentally groaned, wanting to slap her forehead. Way to sound like a character from a bad teen movie. "Disregard that last part. Actually, disregard everything from after, 'Hey, Ravi.'"

He chuckled, the sound filling the quiet park. Thrusting his hands even deeper in his pockets, he rocked back on his heels and cocked his head to the side. "So, hey, Alex. What are you doing here? Seeing the sights?"

She fought back a bark of laughter. "Yup, wanted to check out the infamous swings of Castillo Canyon. Battles were forged here. Friendships lost."

A solemn nod. "I heard about that. War of the Swings. Lots of highs. Lots of lows." The metal chains clanked as he sat next to her. Kicking the ground, he propelled himself forward and began swinging. "But really, what are you doing here? Don't you have dinner with my cousin?"

"I did." How long did he think dinner would take? "You know it's past ten, right?"

Ravi blinked. "What?" He slammed a foot down, bringing him to an abrupt halt. He fumbled for his phone and let out a string of curses as several texts and missed calls popped up on his screen.

Her eyebrows raised. "How long have you been out here?"

"Enough for my aunt to threaten to call the cops," Ravi muttered, typing out a message and hitting send.

Blowing out a breath, Ravi began swinging again, this time pushing himself higher and higher. It wasn't a graceful swing. Every motion was rough and hostile, like a fighter in a ring. The force knocked his hoodie down, revealing his square jawline and thick hair that seemed to defy gravity.

She swung alongside him and thought about what he said. Why would his aunt threaten to call the cops? It sounded like a warning rather than concern. From his interactions with Keya, it was clear he didn't get along with the family, but this went beyond not getting along. There were some serious negative vibes.