🎤 Fourteen: It's Just a Muscle Crush

You crush a lot, Georgie, so what is it about Ravi that makes him different from the other guys? You say he's polite and sweet and smart, but surely there are other reasons you like him. I mean, Owen, is all those things but you got over your crush on him pretty fast, so why Ravi? What makes him special? Sorry, I haven't had the chance to ask Hugo about him. It's hard to work it into a conversation without sounding planned or forced, but I'll get the info. Don't you worry. -Freddy aka Alex

Alexx gazed into the eyes of her co-star, Brad, and belted out the last note of the song, their voices in perfect harmony

Alexx gazed into the eyes of her co-star, Brad, and belted out the last note of the song, their voices in perfect harmony. She felt Brad's arm tighten around her waist in a silent cue, and she ended the song at the same time he did. They both froze for a beat and then let go of their intimate embrace.

The grooves around Randy's mouth deepened as he jotted down a couple of notes on his script. "Alexx, you were rushing at the beginning of the song. It's not a race. Sing with the music, not against it." He looked at her to confirm she understood. When she nodded, he went on, "And you need to be more expressive. Tonight is a love song. It's about desire and longing. Emote that."

"Yes, sir," Alexx replied.

Randy clapped his hands, and the whole theater stopped and listened. "Next, I want to go over the Officer Krupke number. Jets and everyone else involved, on stage. Pronto."

Backstage, Alexx grabbed her water bottle and headed outside. The sun shined in her eyes as she scanned the back area. Most of the cast were practicing their lines with each other while the crew was building sets. Over by the shed, she saw Sloane and Bri chatting as they painted a set-piece.

Normally, she would have rushed over, but things had been off between them ever since they found out Alex joined Keya's club. She understood their frustration. Heck, she felt the same way, but they were badmouthing Alex in a way that made her squirm.

Alexx ducked back inside, took a small detour to her bag, and then made her way to the small patio on the other side of the building. The shaded area had a few chairs and tables that overlooked a tiny park with a picnic table currently empty. She spread open her notebook with Alex and read the latest entry.

Georgie—

Sorry, this is going to be a short one, but I don't have much time to write.

That stupid drama club again. If Alex wasn't glued to Keya's side, then she was busy helping one of the club members. When did the girl have time to eat or sleep? She hoped Keya appreciated Alex's hard work because as far as Alexx could tell, her best friend was doing all the heavy lifting.

If this had been anyone else, Alexx would have butted in already and forced them to quit, but this was Alex Canterbury—Ms-I'll-Do-What-I-Want-Even-If-It-Kills-Me. The apocalypse could be coming, and she'd still be sewing away, prepping for that dumb club.

Things with Hugo are good. The only problem is we rarely see each other. I hang out with him and his friends at lunch, but it feels stilted. Awkward. I don't know any of them except Arlo and let's be real. The only time he talks to me is if it's about you.