🧵 Twenty-One: Just Because It's Complicated Doesn't Mean It's Really Over

Sloane has been acting weird—giving me these looks that either means she has something to tell me or she's constipated. These are the times I miss you being in our group. You could have sussed out the situation and reported back. Now I just have to wait like a normal person. Ugh. You know patience is one of my fatal weaknesses. —Georgie aka Alexx

PS. Saw Ravi in the hallways today between third and fourth period and he waved at me! Seriously making progress with him. I bet by the end of the year we'll be a happy couple laughing over how silly nervous I was to even speak to him.

PPS. My dad gave me two tickets to My Fair Lady happening next week. You want to go with me?

 You want to go with me?

Alex felt a flare of panic as the last bell of the day chimed across the loudspeakers. It was one thing to say she was going to do something but another to do it. Her feet dragged as she made her way to the school parking lot, scuffing her black boots.

She'd wracked her mind all afternoon trying to find a plausible explanation for what happened with Ravi, but the only thing she came up with was they were reenacting a scene out of a book for class. Sometimes it felt that way. Things were too intense between them.

Too...too...

Her skin grew hot as she thought of the way his eyes devoured her. So different from Hugo who made her feel cherished, adored even, but never consumed like a fire in a dry forest.

Hugo was leaning against the passenger door of his car; his head bent over his phone. His nose scrunched as he bit his tongue with his front teeth and hastily typed something back.

"Hey," she greeted when he lifted his head. Sunglasses hid his eyes, but she knew behind them, they were studying her. "Where's Alexx?"

He pocketed the phone and opened the door for her. As she passed, she caught the balmy moonlit scent she'd started to associate with him. "She got a ride with Sloane and Bri. They're headed over to the Playhouse to help with a set."

"Oh." So it would just be her and Hugo? An attack of nerves hit her as she slid in and buckled the seatbelt around her. Had Arlo told him about lunch? She peaked at him, searching for a clue, a sign—anything—but with his sunglasses on all she could see was the firm set of his mouth. She'd seen that look a hundred times over the years. Usually, when he was deep in studying for a test or was trying to level up during a particularly tricky game level.

"Are you up for a smoothie or something?" he asked after sliding in and shutting the door.

Surprise entered her voice. "You don't have to be at Playhouse too?"

"Nope. I'm all yours for the afternoon." Uncertainty dimmed his expression. "Or do you have to work on stuff for the play?"

Technically, she did but seeing his fledging hope gave her the push to say no. "A smoothie sounds great."