🎤 Twenty-Six: Ooh, Baby, Baby, I'm Dancing with an Elephant

I can't take the subzero burn happening in my house anymore. It's uncomfortable—in fact, it's downright unlivable. Every second I struggle to breathe. It's like my lungs are coated in ice. I wish I knew what to do. These are my parents. Aren't they supposed to be the ones who have it all together? Why do I feel like I'm the adult in this family, and they're the kids? -Freddy aka Alex

 Aren't they supposed to be the ones who have it all together? Why do I feel like I'm the adult in this family, and they're the kids? -Freddy aka Alex

"No, no, no!" Randy yelled. A subtle sheen of sweat covered his brow as he marched up the stage. "I want you to do this." He demonstrated the choreography, exaggerating the movement for Alexx. She gave a brisk nod, clenching her teeth as Randy muttered, "Get it right or get off my stage." 

Alexx knew the move. She'd practiced it over and over again in front of the mirror at home, but she was off. Her whole performance was off. Not only was she messing up her steps, but she was forgetting her lines and hitting the wrong notes as she belted out those big musical numbers. She could practically see her understudy's mouth foaming in anticipation. 

She swatted away a strand of hair that had fallen out of her bun and into her face. Mouth pinched, she executed the move with determined steps. 

"You're a dancer, not an elephant!" Randy said, throwing his arms out. 

Irritation boiled in her veins. She knew who and what she was. She was fudging Alexxandria Lorde. The best triple threat this theater had ever seen. Eyes sparking, she threw her shoulders back and danced across the stage with a fluidity that would have put a prima donna to shame.  

"Finally," Randy muttered. "You should have done that the first time instead of wasting our time. Everyone, do the whole number again and no one," he glanced meaningfully at Alexx, "better mess up."

Wiping the sweat out of her eyes, Alexx took her spot at stage right while the rest of the ensemble was at stage left. Music drifted over the loudspeakers, and the dancers began twirling across the stage. Alexx held her place until the music swelled. That was her cue. Smiling for the pretend audience, she lifted her head and began performing the intricate sequence. 

"What was that?" Randy yelled, snapping his fingers at her. "Do. It. Again!" 

Alexx's molars clenched as she pivoted and re-took her place. 

***

"That was a hard one, huh?" Hugo asked as the street lights whizzed by them. His tone was light, but she could hear the concern lurking. 

She grunted, not wanting to talk about it. "Can we stop and get something to eat?" Getting shouted at for five hours worked up a girl's appetite. 

"Sure. What do you want?"

She covered her stomach with an arm as it let out an impressive growl. "Anything as long as it's edible." 

Nodding, Hugo moved to the far right and made an about-turn. She let out a small, happy sigh as he pulled into her favorite fast food place. Best brother ever. They ordered at the drive-thru—a double cheeseburger, fries, chocolate shake, and a triple chocolate chunk cookie for her—and then pulled up to the pick-up window.