🎤 Eighteen: Gonna Take My Questions to the Old Town Road

Do you ever think of your parents as real people? I mean, I know they're people, but as people outside of being parents? It's weird to think about them as kids or adults who make mistakes or bad decisions. Although I guess it's different with you because of your mom. You know her faults—you've lived through them. I think I'm learning about my parents' faults. It's eye-opening. And real. So very, very real. -Freddy aka Alex

PS. Do you think lying is intrinsically evil? Can't there be good lying and bad lying? Or is it all just...lying?

The events of the day gnawed on Alexx until she felt like a chewed bone spit out onto the sidewalk

The events of the day gnawed on Alexx until she felt like a chewed bone spit out onto the sidewalk. She trudged down the hall, every step a battle. Arlo was waiting for her, an expectant look on his face.

She let a low growl. "What are you doing here?" She wasn't in the mood for his teasing.

"What bug crawled up your ass?" he asked, moving out of the way so she could get to her locker.

She threw her books in, not caring how or where they landed. "Can you just answer the question?"

He rested his arm on the open locker door and leaned in. "I don't know, can I?"

"Oh my fudging cod," she muttered, eyeing her locker. Too bad she couldn't fit in and lock the world away. No, even better, shove Arlo in. Then she wouldn't have to hear that stupid, perfectly sexy voice that made her want to rip her hair out and kiss him simultaneously. "Don't mess with me today, Arlo."

Her seriousness must have penetrated because he grabbed her shoulders and forced her to face him. "What happened?"

She didn't want to answer, so she did the next best thing—deflect. "Where's that girl I saw you making out with in the halls?"

He smirked, but the hard, glittering look in his eyes didn't fade. "You're gonna have to be more specific than that."

She shrugged his hands off, ignoring the tingling sensation as he let them drift down her arms. "Go bother her or whoever else your tongue has been down." She went back to her locker, taking out the books she needed and then slamming it shut, hitting it again for good measure.

"Someone has anger management issues."

"I'm not angry." She was frustrated and confused, and most of all, hurt. Hurt that her best friend could betray her with such ease. Didn't she feel guilty at all?

"You make the Hulk look like an overgrown pussycat," Arlo told her.

She shouldered past him. "Just shut up and leave me alone."

"Hold on there, Rambo." He dangled his keys in front of her nose. "I'm your ride home today."

She hugged her books to her chest. "Where's Hugo? And don't you have basketball practice?"

"Aw, you know my schedule? I'm flattered."

"It's hard not to when you're at my house practically every day." And she may or may not have swiped his schedule from his bag when he wasn't looking and memorized it. Not because she liked him. Definitely not. It was so she could avoid him at all costs. Yup.