🎤 Twenty-Two: Had to Have High, High Hopes For a Tension

Do you remember that one time in middle school when we auditioned for Annie? I didn't feel so hot, but it was the only time I could try out so I went up on stage and the minute I opened my mouth, I ended up barfing all over the music teacher? Kids laughed and made fun of me for days but then mysteriously stopped. It wasn't until later that I found out you had your brothers threaten to beat up anyone who made of me. I never thanked you, but I am now. Thanks for always sticking up for me. You know I love you, right? No matter what happens or where life takes us, remember that. —Freddy aka Alex

An unnamed tension filled the air that made the hairs on the back of Alexx's neck stand up

An unnamed tension filled the air that made the hairs on the back of Alexx's neck stand up. Her gaze darted to and fro, but no one was giving her any hints as to what the h-e-double hockey sticks were going on. Foot tapping, she raised her eyebrows at her best friend as if to say, Well? However, Alex was too busy glaring at Sloane.

"Don't call me that," Alex ordered through gritted teeth.

Sloane smirked, a hard edge in her voice. "Isn't that your name?"

"It's only for those who care about me," Alex said with the force of a whip.

Sloane stood there stoically, but Alexx knew her too well. Behind that wooden expression was a wince of hurt. Alexx reached out as if to stop the two, but Sloane flung out, "They might care about you, but can you honestly say you care about them?"

Her best friend visibly flinched, her eyes flickering to Alexx.

What in the world...?

However, before she could ask—no, demand—to know what was going on, Ravi cleared his throat. "Alexx, do you have a minute? I wanted to talk to you."

Her pulse sped up those dark, brooding eyes looked at her. "Um, of course." Her heart jumped as he motioned for her to follow. She barely noticed Hugo's narrowed gaze, Alex's startled look, and Sloane's furrowed brows as she passed, too focused on trying not to trip and making a fool out of herself.

Was this was the moment her dreams would be realized, and Ravi was going to ask her out on a date? Should she feign surprise? Play it cool? Or maybe she should take a page out of Wonder Woman's book and be super upfront about her feelings?

"What's up?" she asked, deciding on playing it cool. She remembered watching a YouTube video from a dating expert. He said there was something to be said for letting a guy chase a girl, and frankly, Alexx was all for Ravi chasing her. For once, he would be the one to seek her out instead of vice versa.

He briefly looked over his shoulder to where Sloane, Hugo, and Alex were standing. "Um, I was wondering if you, uh..." He trailed off as he glanced over again.

Was he nervous about her brother overhearing? Maybe Ravi told Hugo he was going to ask her out and that's what the tension was about. "Yes?" she prodded.

"Um, I...uh, I was wondering if you wanted to—"

"Yes!" she said, unable to hold back her answer. Who cared about playing it cool? She had a date!