🎤 Twenty-Three: The Aunt Wants What It Wants

No, I still haven't talked to my mom, and it's eating me alive. I wish I knew what to do. If only I hadn't seen that text message then I could pretend this whole thing isn't real. Have you noticed life seems to be made up of "if only" moments? If only I'd done this or if only I hadn't said that. I wonder what type of new tapestry would emerge if I stitched all those "if only's" together. Perhaps something better than what I'm stuck with now. -Freddy aka Alex

Definitely not the best day ever

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Definitely not the best day ever. First off, this morning, her brother had been in a foul mood. Hugo rarely got grouchy but when he did—oh boy, watch out! It was like trying to reason with a grizzly bear. While driving to school, she tried to pry information out of him about his relationship status with Alex, but he just growled and turned up the music.

Once they got to Terra Linda, Alexx fluffed up her hair and smoothed on some lipgloss in case she ran into Ravi, but sadly, he wasn't there. When they were officially a couple, she'd school him on the proper boyfriend etiquette such as waiting for her by her locker.

Then, she'd been so busy thinking about Ravi, she didn't notice the girl balancing a plate of eggs and hash browns on her books until it was too late. Alexx ran to the bathroom, trying to get the ketchup stains out but it was no use. Her oatmeal colored top looked like a murder scene. Unfortunately, Alexx loaned out the back-up cardigan she kept in her locker to Bri last week and hadn't gotten it back yet so she was stuck until she could hunt down one of her friends.

If that wasn't bad enough, Alexx had a surprise pop quiz in Spanish, which she bombed, and now here she was standing by her locker, wondering why Keya was giving her looks. Fed up, she crossed the hall and went up to the ledge where Keya was sitting.

"What's up?" Keya asked, uncrossing her legs and bracing herself on the concrete wall.

Alexx raised a brow. "I don't know. You tell me."

Swinging her feet, Keya glanced at the ground and then back up, reluctance on her face. "Just wondering how things are with you."

Alexx looked around. "Is this some sort of joke? When have we ever attempted to sit and talk?" An idea popped into her head. "Wait, is this you warning me off your cousin?" Unbelievable. What she and Ravi did was no one's business—not Hugo's, not Arlo's, and certainly not Keya's.

"My cousin?" Confusion quickly morphed to astonishment. "Ravi?"

"Do you have another cousin?"

"I have too many to count." Keya hopped off the ledge, landing in her inch suede booties. "Why would I warn you off him? Are you two together or something?"

"He didn't tell you?"

Keya reluctantly admitted, "We're not on the best of terms."

"Shocker," Alexx said wryly. "Are you on good terms with anyone?"

Keya sent her a sickly sweet smile. "Your best friend."

Alexx scowled. "So if this isn't about Ravi then why are you wondering how things are with me? Wait." She looked deep into Keya's eyes. "Are you possessed? Possible food poising? Did you find out you have a fatal disease and are trying to rectify all your mistakes?"