🧵 Nine: It's a Chapter of the Times

Lunch isn't the same without you. I tried telling Sloane and Bri a joke, and it fell as flat as that note Sloane tried to hit while singing that High School Musical song she loves so much. Ugh, and can I make a note that Sloane has TERRIBLE taste in musicals? Sure, High School Musical is good, but she has musical geniuses like Andrew Loyd Webber or Stephen Sondheim at her fingertips, and she chooses THAT as her favorite musical?? It's a crime against humanity or at least Broadway. Come eat lunch with us again. PLEASE. I'm on my knees, begging. -Georgie aka Alexx

PS. Here's the joke because I know you'll ask: Tried acting on a farm once. It went terribly; I got mooed off the stage. ;)

Alex's head jerked back as her best friend suddenly stood and dragged her into her room

Alex's head jerked back as her best friend suddenly stood and dragged her into her room. Shutting the door, Alexx whipped around and put her hands on her hips, her brightly painted nails tapping against the waistband of her pajamas. "I think you have some explaining to do. Since when did you start liking my brother?"

She cupped her cheeks which felt like they'd been under a heat lamp. "Is it that obvious?" Alex knew there'd been a possibility of seeing Hugo tonight, but when she walked up the driveway and saw his car gone, she felt a mixture of disappointment and relief. Of course, she wanted to see him, but she'd been nervous enough to talk to Alexx. She didn't need him there, adding to the pile.

"Not to most people, but I'm not most people." Alexx marched straight to her and covered Alex's hands with her own. Squeezing her cheeks, she forced Alex's lips to pucker like a fish. "Tell me the truth. Do you really like him?"

An undistinguishable noise left her lip as she nodded. Alex had passed Hugo a few times in the halls this past week. He'd sent her questioning looks, most likely wondering why she hadn't talked to his sister yet but hadn't done more than that. She liked that he hadn't rushed her or forced the issue. A lot of guys would have taken it into their own hands and asked Alexx, but he let her be in charge.

It made her feel fierce and womanly and independent, which made her decision to say yes that much easier. She still thought about Ravi though, it was hard not to when she saw him every day in class, but he hadn't stopped by at lunch since that one time which told her all she needed to know.

Alexx dropped her hands to Alex's shoulders and shook her. "Freddy, this is my brother."

Worry rained down on her. "I know. Do you think it's weird?" What if this thing with Hugo imploded? Would her friendship with Alexx implode with it?

Alexx's eyes narrowed, her face stripped of makeup except for the dark smudge of mascara rimming her bottom lashes. "Why? Do you think it's weird?"

"Kind of. I mean, it's Hugo. I've known him for years and all of a sudden..." She thought about the summer barbecue and the brief moment of flirtation. "I don't know. It just kind of happened."

Alexx bounced on the balls of her feet, a smile lighting up her face. "Which is why you two should be together. My best friend and my favorite brother; a couple. Although don't let Lance and Seth know that."