Chapter 20: The End of the Beginning

After 720 days of high school, my time is finally up, graduation day is here and I kinda want to cry. I've been waiting for this day since the first day I started high school but now that it is here I find myself being sad. The last 6 months have been the best times I've had in a long time, I got in a relationship with a good guy, my parents finally understood how hard their working habits could be on me, and I was no longer the slut that no one would give a second glance to.

This morning my wonderful group of friends, Sam, Kyle, Danny, and Justin had breakfast at Pauls. We laughed and reminisced on our high school lives, earning some not so nice glares from other customers who thought we were being too loud. Justin and I sat on one side of the booth with Sam, Kyle, and Danny on the other. Kyle was currently bashing Danny for being the awkward third wheel, honestly something that has been pretty common since he started hanging out with us again, although Danny didn't seem to mind. That was Danny's thing though, not letting the shit Kyle says mess with his head. Danny would find the right girl eventually, I mean he's a good looking kid!

"What do you guys think we are doing for grad night?" I speak up, hoping someone has the answer, honestly I don't love surprises and just wanted to know.

"All I know is it's a 30-minute bus ride away!" I groan internally at Sam's answer but move on from the subject. The rest of the breakfast was amazing and sad, I know that none of us are going super far from each other but I can't help the sad feelings that spread.

A few short hours later it is time for graduation. Being a private school graduation all of the girls are required to wear a white dress, while the guys were to wear black suits. I picked out a mid-thigh, form-fitting dress with thin straps and a relatively open back and a pair of red heels, all paired with our schools navy blue cap and gown. 

When I arrived at school, all the students were shuffled into the gym to get lined up in alphabetical order, which sucks because my last name doesn't alphabetically line up with any of my close friends. After about 20 minutes, all of us students are lined up perfectly and set off to walk over to the football field where the ceremony is taking place. We all take our seats and listen to a few people talk before we get to the walking across the stage and getting our diploma part of the graduation. In no time at all students are starting to walk across the stage, I cheer for every person I know as their name is being called. And just like that, it's my turn to cross the stage. I hand the small piece of paper with my name on it to the announcer and hold my breath.

"Blythe Rogers," the booming voice of the announcer rings through my ears, only to be then replaced by the cheers from the crowd and a few fellow students. I walk calmly and confidently across the stage to our principal who hands me my diploma holder and posed for a quick picture with me. As I make my way off the stage I hear a slightly muffled yell from the student section, and I knew immediately who yelled it and what was said.

I decide to break one more rule while I'm still at the hell hole. Instead of walking back to my assigned alphabetical ordered seat I scan the crowd of students to find the face I knew belonged to that voice. I found him rather quickly, looking directly back at me, a common occurrence that I will never tire of. I make my way over to the section of seats he was in, he stood as I got close to him, a big goofy smile on his face.

"I love you too," I say before slamming my lips to his, earning cheers from all around us.

"That's quite enough you two," I hear a voice boom through the microphone, knowing immediately it was the principle. I giggled and shook my head, returning back to my assigned seat.

The ceremony was done soon after that, a few more speeches were made and our degrees were confirmed, we moved our tassels from the right to the left and tossed our caps. It was magical and scary and exciting and sad all at the same overwhelming time. High school was over, finally.