Chapter 8 - My mind didn't remember him, but my heart did...

Allison’s POV:

I let myself into our flat, after I spent about 5 minutes outside playing with the keys. The lights were all off, except a lamp in the corridor, so I just went into the bedroom and turned the lights on. Niall was in bed, facing the other way, so I just changed into my pyjamas there. By the time I was done, he had turned facing me, but his eyes were closed. I sighed, and after brushing my teeth and removing my make up, I went into bed. I listened to him breathing for a few minutes before I started talking.

“Niall, I know you’re not asleep,” I started. He didn’t say anything. “Come on Niall, you’re gonna make me do this? I’m sorry for before, and we do need to talk.”

Still nothing.

“Answer me damn it!” I said, a bit louder this time.

“What?!” he told me in an annoyed voice, then he turned over. His eyes were angry, but they were also sad...though I had no idea why. “You enjoyed yourself at the concert,” he stated.

“Uh, yeah...it was great. We had fun,” I was beating around the bush, and I knew it. So I just decided to say it.

“Louis asked me out at the end of the night,” That wasn’t how I had meant to start; I don’t know why I said that, I don’t know what I really wanted to say; maybe I said that so that I could see his reaction. All I know was that I was as confused as ever.

“Louis asked you out on a date...” he mumbled, like he was too tired to realise what that meant, then, “Louis asked you out on a date?!?! But he, and he, shit I’m...yeah...well...”

I realised he was getting upset, so I quickly interrupted him, “Niall! Niall!” then I shook him because he wasn’t noticing me anymore. Finally we made eye contact, “I said no,” I whispered, looking down when I finished.

He was quite for a while, at this point, we were both sitting up in bed. “Well, why did you do that?” he asked finally, quietly.

“I – I don’t really know. I didn’t really know,” I corrected myself. He was going to interrupt me so I hurried on, “Louis told me that...you...wanted us to be more than friends,” I said slowly. “And then he told me that I wanted the same thing to, but that I just didn’t realise it.”

“Well, the first part’s true. But...do you feel the same way? Cos I understand if you don’t Allie, I really do. I’m sorry I’ve been a jerk,” He apologised. I was quiet for some time, then I looked at him, “I don’t know what I want Niall. I know I want you in my life, and I know that Louis’ a really good friend,” I told him, putting emphasis on the word friend.

“And I know it’s selfish of me, but I think I need some time to figure things out,” I finished. Niall nodded sadly, and slid down under the sheets. He closed his eyes, and I sighed. At least he wasn’t angry at me anymore: he was lying down facing me. I slid down too, and I covered myself. Then I just looked at him. Did I really not know what I wanted? Or was I just not allowing myself to think about it?

I closed my eyes, but I couldn’t sleep, and I knew Niall wasn’t asleep either. It was unfair of me to keep him waiting, so I just made up my mind there and then. And as soon as I thought about it for more than a split second, I knew.

I knew what I wanted, and it was definitely more of Niall in my life. Honestly, I had known it from the moment when he walked into my hospital room. My mind didn’t remember him, but my heart did. I opened my eyes again, and slowly slid forward, till I was hugging Niall. Then I gently put my lips on his; it was the only way I knew how to tell him that yes, I did feel the same way.