Chapter 19 - Head over heels

Allie’s POV:

I woke up on Zayn’s couch. I rubbed my face, which was still sore and slightly swollen from last night’s crying, and in a flash, I relived what had just happened. After Niall had left, and had probably gone home, Zayn had managed to get me to stop crying for just long enough to tell Harry and Liam what had happened and then he took me to his house.

By the time that he was opening his door tears had started trickling down my face again, and when he looked over to let me go in first, he pulled me into a hug sympathetically. Once we were inside he pulled me onto the sofa, “Look, I know what you’re going through, but I swear it’ll get better! You’re not me and Amanda, you and Niall were meant for each other, you just have to hang in there, and wait till he realises that he can’t live without you. I promise it’ll get better.”

I nodded mutely, unable to speak because my throat hurt so much from trying to stop crying. He patted my leg gently and went to make us both some tea. I kicked off my heels and pulled my legs up on the sofa, wrapping my arms around my knees. I shook my head in disbelief, how could a night, that had started off so wonderfully, ended up in such a disaster?

All because of Louis, a little voice whispered in my head. I didn’t want to blame it on Louis though. He was drunk, and I was almost sure that he didn’t know what he was doing. Besides, Niall had a point, if I had stopped him, pushed him off, then none of this would have happened. Zayn came back next to me and handed me my warm mug. We sat sipping the tea in silence for a while, and then Zayn told me that I could spend the night at his house if I wanted to.

I didn’t want to go back to our house to grab my stuff, mostly because I was pretty sure that Niall wouldn’t let me in, and also because I was too upset to even talk to him. I promised myself that I’d go and have a proper chat with him tomorrow though, otherwise we’d never work things out.

Hearing Zayn getting up and going to the bathroom, I got up from the sofa, and told myself that it was a new day, and new day meant new opportunities. But then I remembered that Niall was mad at me, and all hopes instantly vanished, like someone had just turned off a light switch with a cold, cruel hand.

I dragged myself to the kitchen, trying to pat my hair down at the same time. Sitting down at the table, I put my head in my hands. I had no idea what I was going to do today. I knew that I had to talk to Niall, and if we didn’t work things out today and Zayn was kind enough to let me stay over for a couple of days, I’d need my stuff. That meant I definitely had to go over to Niall’s.

After a quick breakfast which Zayn practically forced me to eat, he handed me his phone, “Like it or not, you have to start by calling him, Allie,” he smiled encouragingly at me.

I nodded slightly and took the phone. I punched in his number with trembling hands, hoping he’d answer. After a few rings, Niall’s voice came down the line, “Hello?”

His voice sounded hoarse and scratchy, and I knew that he had had a rough night too. My breath caught in my throat, and I swallowed painfully before I spoke.

“Niall? It’s me,” I said feebly. He didn’t say anything, so I continued.

“Look, I know this is...I don’t know what this is, but we definitely need to talk. And I’m staying over at Zayn’s right now, so maybe if I could come for a few of my stuff?”

I was half hoping that he’d break down and tell me to go back to him, that it was all ok. But he didn’t, “I’m going out today. I’ll leave the key in the letterbox, take whatever you want. Come over tomorrow, we’ll talk then.”

With that final sentence, he just hung up. I stared at the phone, stunned. I hadn’t known what to expect, but his emotionless voice had caught me off-guard. I sighed and gave the phone back to Zayn, “I’ll go over later. We’ll talk tomorrow,” I said softly, and went to the bathroom. Once I closed the door, I just collapsed on the floor and cried my heart out.