Chapter 4 - The Monster

It had been two days to Piya's engagement, Abhay's breakdown and ultimate fever. Abhay was completely fine now, courtesy to Siddharth but Abhay didn't go to the office instead he planned to meet Piya once again.

Sleeping so much, made him feel a lot calmer than necessary and hence he decided to meet Piya so to once again persuade her in accepting his love.

There was nothing wrong in trying. Engagements could break after all. If fate would be in his side then maybe Piya would accept his love and break off the engagement with that Sehgal guy.

He didn't let the thought affect him that Piya didn't connect him for once in the two days. He wanted to be positive and optimistic, pushing away every bad thought, just like the way Piya had taught him.

But he surely felt restless and lost on not meeting Piya for two days. It never happened before. Not even when he had business meetings or so-called tight schedules.

Abhay was busy getting ready and thinking when he heard the doorbell. He didn't care to check and carried on his work since he knew cleaner must be still somewhere.

As expected by him, a moment later he heard the noise of footsteps and the cleaner of his mansion appeared in the room after knocking.

"Sir, this envelope was given by the driver of Khannas," Cleaner told placing the envelope on the bed and left immediately since his shift was over

Abhay turned around with a jerk. He looked at the envelope with confusion and sudden dread. With numb thoughts, he reached out for the envelope.

The ground slipped beneath his feet and he chocked on his own breath, reading the content. He never imagined this happening that too so soon.

He was finally feeling optimistic but all his hopes evaporated into nothingness, just like his dreams. It was another stab on his already bruised and broken heart.

Didn't she care enough to tell me herself? Didn't she care enough to know about me?

His phone rang, bringing him out of his broken thoughts only to break him further as Mr Khanna shone on his iPhone screen. He received the call with trembling hands.

"Yes?" Abhay said with quivering lips.

"Abhay where were you? I know we were busy but at least you should've contacted us. Anyway, tell me did you get the invitation card?" Arvind voice boomed from the speaker.

Abhay looked at the invitation card in his hands with teary eyes. Invitation card of his Piya's marriage. Invitation card of his death.

"I know it's so sudden but that's how Piya wants it. I wanted to give invitation card by our hand but then we were busy and you didn't come. Though Piya told us, she invited you on phone but on our insistence Piya said that we should send card by driver. I hope you didn't mind, son." Arvind explained their situation, without realising that his words were stabbing his soul and cutting the pieces of his broken heart into pieces, if it was possible.

She lied to keep him out of her marriage. She didn't want him anywhere near her.

"Nraz hone ka to haq hy nhy rha mere pas(I don't have the right to be upset anymore)" Abhay said in a broken whisper and cut the call without a proper farewell

His eyes hooked on the invitation card. She was getting married. Without him. That too today.

What can go worse than knowing that your love suddenly wants to get married and that too without informing him?

Did she fear him or didn't trust him? What was it which distanced her so much from him?

She wanted to get married before time, just after he proposed her, and she didn't even want him to know of her decision.