Chapter 13: Lilly

Rory had been in the hospital for two weeks getting chemo. Her doctor said it was working well and she should be able to beat this. We were all happy to hear that, even though the treatments were kicking her butt. She was sick all the time, but she kept her spirits up, until today.

"Rory," I called into the bathroom. "Are you all done in the shower? The nurse is coming back soon to check your vitals."

"Lilly," she said. "Can you come in here?"

"Why?" I asked.

"I just need you in here," she said. "Please." I quickly opened the bathroom door, expecting to that she had fallen on the bathroom floor or to see her nose gushing blood, but she was standing in the shower with the water turned off.

"Rory, what's wrong?" I asked.

"Look," she said as she ran her hand through her hair. She pulled it out along with a big clump of her hair. "It's falling out," she said.

"I'm sorry, sweetie," I said. "It'll grow back once your treatments are over."

"It'll be uneven if I leave it like this," she said. "I need you to shave it."

"What?" I said. "I can't shave your head!"

"Please, Lilly," she begged. "I'd rather get rid of it all at once than watch it slowly fall out." I sighed.

"Fine," I said. "Get dressed, I'll be back." I ran out to get a razor. When I got back to the hospital , Rory was in her comfy clothes in bed, waiting for me.

"We have to do this fast," she said. "I'm starting my next round of chemo soon." I nodded as Rory came into the bathroom. After I finished shaving her head she looked into the mirror sadly.

"It'll eventually grow back," I said, trying to cheer her up. "Until then we can get you a scarf or a wig." Rory just nodded and walked back to bed. I took off the scarf I was wearing and wrapped it around her head.

"Lilly you don't have to stay here with me," Rory said. "I'll be fine. I'm probably going to go to sleep once my treatments start anyway."

"Oh I don't mind," I said. "Besides, I need a distraction. I can't stop thinking about my miscarriage."

"Then go help somebody else," Rory said. "Get Joe and Ben to talk or find out why Ella won't visit me anymore." I sighed and nodded.

"I'll come by later to check on you," I said. Rory nodded and smiled as I gave her hug before I left. I decided to go over to Ella's apartment first.

"Hi Lilly," Ella greeted me. "What are you doing here?"

"Why won't you go see Rory?" I asked her. She sighed.

"I can't deal with people being sick," she said. "I saw her throw up and it just made me so uncomfortable and sad I couldn't stay there. I had to leave."

"So you're just never going to come back?" I asked her.

"I don't want to discuss it," she said. "I'll talk to you later." She shut the door in my face before I could say another word. Apparently I was off my game today, because I didn't have any luck with Ben and Joe either. They were both being really stubborn. It made me so upset that I couldn't help anybody. I didn't know what to do with myself. I couldn't help my friends or myself. What now?