Your mistakes don't define you

[grian/ex friendship,maybe ship if you squint]

Ex sat on the statue of hermity, thinking about his faults, his brother and all of his past mistakes.
It was weighing him down like a brick.

He never meant to do any harm! he just wanted to have fun... to prank them... to make... friends.
So when a new hermit arrived and started a war , he couldn't help but hate him. 'Why did Xisuma forgive him so easily?' he thought sourly, 'he isn't his brother. I'm his brother. He should forgive me'
Ex wanted to cry, but the villain doesn't have the right to emotions- right? right?

His thoughts were interrupted by a shout from the very person he least wanted to talk to.

"Hey! X- I- Suma!"

EX froze— 'it couldn't be...'

But, It was, It really was. Tears started pouring.

"X? Are you okay?"

He couldn't stand that name.

"DONT CALL ME THAT!" Ex shouted, spooking our poor lil' Grian.
"IM NOT MY BROTHER!"

"I'm s- sorry... I didn't know X had a brother... I know what it's like to have people confuse you with someone else repeatedly..." The red sweatered hermit looked down at his feet, reminiscing High school, and the dark times they were, sam, Taurtis, they were all distant memories now.

Ex looked similar, "Just sit down! The sky looks beautiful from here." he barked out, utterly surprised with his own words.

Grian then sat down next to the twin.

And that's how they stayed, they just sat on the statue of hermity, watching the sky go dark, in a comfortable silence, being there for together, being enough to comfort each other.

They watched the sun set, and the moon rise, they watched the light of the stars set in behind his base.

It was simply beautiful.

------------

Grian stood up, and energetically hugged ex. At first the hug was stiff and awkward but eventually The helmet wearing hermit eased their nerves and melted into it.

Grian then pulled away, and with a final smile, he jumped off of the statue of hermity, which startled EX who then ran over and peered over the edge--

Where he saw grian tug on the string of a firework and blast up and away.

He didn't know why, but a part of him was disappointed at the fact that they had to part ways, 'he was kinda nice... kinda like a friend...' He quickly shook those thoughts off and headed back home.

A silent promise in between the two was left hanging in the air, as if telling each other to meet again.

------------

As the night grew darker, Grian arrived at his large base, he let out a breath that he didn't even know he was holding-- Did he even get the guy's name? What if they don't go back tomorrow? the feeling of loneliness quickly washed over him, leaving him a stressed mess.

'Did I get all the concrete to build sahara?'

'Do I even have the right materials?'

'what if i'm not helpful with sahara?'

These thoughts kept him up all night, he ended up barely sleeping even an hour. He'd been reduced to a tired, stressed and touch starved hermit.

So he couldn't have imagined that his day would get worse.