CHAPTER 16

We had time to grief and mourn after the funeral, but we didn't want to stay in the village to long so we had started taking missions again.

We took them slow and we took the more boring tasks just to ease into it again, Rin had finally become Chunin and we celebrated with some cake, but nothing big as we still couldn't feel the joy in having a festive time after we lost one of our most memorable teammates.

Now a year later and we're still hurting but we are becoming much stronger

"Hey, Rin," I said giving a bit of a smile, Rin was the most affected by the loss of Obito ad she was much closer to him then Kakashi and I.

The brunette girl glanced up at me approaching her, we quickly pulled each other in a hug. It was a regular greeting and farewell now as we both need it to cling on to the last bit of comfort we need to get through another miserable day, "Hey girls," Kakashi joined us on our walk, the boy had become more open to Rin and me which was progress, but it's the circumstances that I would have wanted to avoid. Rin's dull eyes seemed to lit up when she spotted the boy as they brown orbs held hope.

After we had returned to the village Kakashi had comforted the girl and stayed by her side to help her grief, but what he didn't realize was that he was giving hope that they could be more than friends and team members. I didn't even bother with boys as of now, I could care less about gawking at a boy instead of training... Training to become stronger and faster, and as much, as it sounds like a cliché, I want to protect all my comrades and loved ones. It was my fault for not being strong enough to protect him and so I will not be the liability nor be a bother for my team, I will be their shield.

"Hira?" Rin's voice cracked through my thoughts as she gave me a slight shove with her elbow. I slowly looked up from the floor to my right where Rin stood looking at me with concern.

I admit ever since that horrible experience I change but to be honest, who wouldn't. Seeing your teammate and one of your best friends die before you when you could have saved him if you weren't too weak is scaring. "Sorry, I was thinking about something. What did you say?" I asked not wanting to get lost in my dark and terrifying thoughts again. "Kakashi and I were going to get some Ramen after this mission and we wanted to know if you want to come with?" she asked with such obvious urgency to say no that I was surprised Kakashi didn't hear it, but I guess boys are just too stupid and oblivious of the simple signs. But to answer Rin's question I shook my in disagreement, declining the offer without words.

I already had plans to visit the grave we made for Obito near this cherry blossom that he loved. "Sorry, I already have plans," I said just as we reached the meeting spot. Minato-sensei already stood there smiling brightly trying to hide the pain of not seeing his fourth student.

"Morning guys, how are you guys doing?" he asked and we all just shrugged, believe it or not, this was an improvement as we had only stared down at our feet each time he would ask the stupid question. We all knew that we were miserable and in utter sorrow. Life didn't felt as joyful or fun without the energetic, stubborn Uchiha. "Well, we don't have any missions for the day so... We are going to be training for the day. Hira... I want to talk to you... In private." Minato said before having Rin and Kakashi doing some weird exercise that involved walking up a tree and as expected Kakashi struggled a bit as he had too much chakra pushed to his feet while Rin had just enough, but she was unsure and lost focus when she would see Kakashi fall back.

"Hira, please come here." the blonde man said with a soothing voice. "I am sure you already know how to control your chakra, right?" he said placing a hand on one of my shoulders as he crouched to my eye level and surprisingly I had a bit of a growths birth that didn't sit well with Kakashi, because I was a bit longer than him and he hated the fact that he had to look up at me even if it was just a small crane of his neck. Right, I should probably answer Minato-sensei...