Chapter 13 -- Kelly

"Your phone is buzzing" Midge said, still cuddled into Scott's neck.

"Those ears of yours are helpful.  I should get that" he said, shifting slightly.

Midge was halfway down the hallway before Scott had finished his sentence and returned with the phone just a moment later.  "Here you go."

"Thanks Midge."  He glanced at the screen and then spent a few minutes sending a few texts.  Afterwards he looked over at Midge who was picking practically invisible hairs off the couch.  ""That's what a vacuum is for, don't worry."

"I am a bit of a mess, I am sorry.  I do not want to hurt your head with the vacuum."

"You're sweet, and also right about the noise.  I'm feeling a lot better though.  Do you feel up to having some company?"  He knew the answer to that, it was written all over his face.  "Look, Midge, you're going to stay here, with me, right?  At least for awhile? If you want to, obviously, you don't HAVE to."

"I... I would like to if....  I mean...."

"No, I want you to.  Please.  So, if you're going to stay, you need to meet a few of my friends and the first person on that list is Kelly.  I promise she won't hurt you."

Midge hesitated, saying nothing.

"And I promise Olaf won't come.  She'll bring us lunch, okay?  I just want her to meet you.  I wouldn't do anything to put you in danger, Midge.  She's amazing, and fun, and you will love her if you just give her a chance."

"And you want her to know, about me I mean."

"Yes."

"Whatever you like."

"I'm going to get a shower.  Speaking of which, do you bathe?  I mean, sorry but you're just going to have to forgive my dumb questions."

"I shower, yes.  I do not like to sit in water though.  I will shower after you, if that is okay."

Scott was clean and in new sweats, reclining on the couch when he heard Midge calling him from the bathroom.

"Sir, I did not bring clothes, I am so sorry.  Is it okay if I wrap in the towel and come out?"

"That's fine, no worries."  He tried to stay focused on the TV and ignore the fact that a practically naked Midge was prancing around the room behind him.

"I am not sure what I should wear.  Jeans and my hoodie or?" he asked, the excitement and fear evident in his voice.

"No, no, be comfortable.  She can see your tail and ears, it's the only way she'll believe me."  He heard the door open and close, then the bathroom door.  Suddenly, the lack of an extra bedroom seemed an obvious problem.  If Midge was going to live here he needed some space.  He needed to feel this was home and he wouldn't if he was sleeping on the couch.  The obvious answer was to move him into Scott's room along with him.  His bed was plenty big enough and he could easily give Midge half the dresser and some closet space.  It would also give Midge the closeness he seemed to need.  Closeness wasn't going to help Scott though and it wasn't a good long-term answer.  He couldn't exactly bring a date home with someone sharing his room.  What they needed to do was move.  Pets and slaves didn't need bedrooms, but people and his Neko, did.

The doorbell rang while Midge was in the hallway.  He looked towards the door, then to Scott.  "Do you... should I?"  He could smell the food.  He hadn't smelled that scent up close in months but he knew that nestled down along with apple pies and beef were chicken nuggets. Are they really for me?  No, no, don't get your hopes up.