Chapter 28 -- Shower

Scott ran out of the bathroom naked, dripping all over the floor. "MIDGE!"

"What is wrong? How can I be of service?" he asked alarmed, jumping to his feet.

"Come in here with me, please!" He grabbed his hand and scurried back into the bathroom, freezing. He released Midge's hand and jumped back into the still-running shower. "Damn it's cold out there. Sit down, we need to talk."

"Out here? Or in the shower?"

"There, wait, no... I mean yes, there. I won't be able to think with you in here and I almost have it. I have an idea. Are you with me?"

"I am not sure that I am because I am out here but you say this is your preference? The rug is wet, may I sit on the toilet seat?"

"Of course, I don't care. Or on a towel, whatever. Listen, are you ready?"

"I do not know what is going to happen, so I can not be certain but I will do my best."

"MIDGE! You drive me to distraction silly boy. Listen, there's nothing wrong, I've been thinking."

"Oh, alright." he said, from his perch on the seat. He pulled his legs up and wrapped his tail around them.

"So this whole 'ownership' thing started me thinking about 'I love Lucy'. Have you seen that show?"

Midge was not often speechless but he was now. Often he wasn't sure how to properly phrase what he was saying so as to be proper, but the thoughts were always there. He decided that no matter how long he spent with Scott, he might never understand how his mind worked. "I do not think so."

"Okay, are you familiar with marriage?"

"Yes."

"Familiar with 1950's housewife with the dominant husband type of marriage?"

"Less so, but I do know it has changed recently, right? Some are more relaxed."

"Exactly, so the old version seems a bit similar to ownership. Is it? Is it close enough that you could tell me the similarities and differences and maybe, just MAAAAYBE I could wrap my head around this?"

"Perhaps. There are similarities."

"Okay, so tell me everything in comparisons. Like, in marriage you wear rings but instead you would wear a collar, right? Do they symbolize the same things? This is what got me thinking about it, so is that right and are there other things like that?" he asked, his words tumbling over each other.

"You are very excited. I will do my best. Yes, in marriage the ring is a sign to others that you are married, right? And that you are committed so yes, I think it is the same. But there are many differences, it is not like marriage."

"Keep going, what are other similarities and differences?"

"In marriage you are expected to only have one wife or husband and to be faithful to them, that is not the same. A master may have sex with and love anyone they like. They may have other Nekos. Some Nekos are owned by married couples."

"But you couldn't, right? Seems a bit unfair to you, but a lot of marriages are unfair too, I guess. And selling you or giving you to someone else would be like getting divorced?"

"Yes, I think it is similar."

"And that's why you said you'd be sad if you had to take the collar off when the visit was over."

"Yes. It would mean you did not want me any more."

"But you once told me that you would never run away if you were owned, that you would not be bad. What if you wanted to leave? What if YOU wanted a divorce?"