Chapter 92 -- Panic

Midge walked in, captivated by the way the light bounced off the gold and diamonds that surrounded him.  He peered closely at the first case, mentally examining each piece.  The second case didn't appeal to him as much and he didn't have holes in any of his ears to wear the glittery jewels.

He moved to the third case and leaned down to see it more closely.  He noticed the case was open at the same moment he saw the most beautiful bracelet he had ever seen.  It had a small circle in the middle that was open just a bit, but he wanted to see what was beneath the cover.  He reached around and picked up the bracelet, clicking it onto his wrist.  He had just peered beneath the cover, revealing a tiny watch, when he heard the man behind him.

        "Take the jewelry off and hand it to me.  Now."

Midge looked at the large man behind him.  He wore a uniform and a frown on his face.  He took off the watch and extended it, palm up.  "I am sorry, I just wanted to see it."

        "And the rest of it."

"The rest?  I did not touch anything else."

        "The Panthere bracelet.  Now."

"But it is mine."

        "You need to come with me."  He took Midge by the elbow as another guard came towards him and yet another appeared at the door.

"Where are we going?"

        "I need to ask you a few questions about the bracelet.  Come along."

*** *** *** ***

        "This is as far as I went.  I ducked in here and looked back to make sure he was with me and nothing, no Midge"  Kelly explained.

"When did you drop his hand?  How far do we know he came?"

        "I don't remember exactly, it wasn't far, maybe 3 stores down."

"Show me, let's see what's in between.  Maybe he got distracted.  We need to check all the stores, both sides."  He walked out and down about 10 feet before he saw what he was dreading.  "A fucking escalator.  Maybe he took that?  He could be anywhere!"

        Kelly knew Scott wasn't really mad at her, he was just scared and honestly, so was she.  The place was huge.  "I'm so sorry, I didn't think... I mean.... it's so easy to forget he's not... I'm sorry."

"Go up and down the escalator and look and call for him.  You don't have to be too loud, he might hear you.  I'm going to try all the stores.  I'll meet you right back here in 15 minutes, okay?"

        "Alright Dip Dot, let's do this."  She headed up first so that she could start from the top and work her way down all three floors, then back up again.  She looked left and right, calling his name every few minutes.  The people near her probably thought she was crazy, but she didn't really care at this point.

Scott was frantic.  He was so worried that he took a deep breath and stepped into the Victoria Secrets store that loomed in front of him.  Yes, Midge definitely might have come in here, curious.  He headed to the right then made his way to the back of the store, trying his best to not touch ANYTHING.

        "Would you like some help?" a salesgirl asked, stepping in front of him so quickly he almost ran into her.  "Looking for a gift?"

"No, no, someone.  A friend.  Um, this tall, dark, cute little beard?" he asked, holding his hand up to show how much shorter Midge was.  He continued looking around, his eyes darting around the store as quickly as possible to try to prevent himself from actually seeing something.

        "Sorry, I don't remember seeing him but it's quite busy today.  Let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks."  He fled towards the door, checking out the opposite side and finally relaxed a little when he was back in the corridor.  He glanced at his phone to check the time, then stepped into the Radio Shack next door to look.  No luck though, and it was time to go back to meet Kelly.  He could only hope she'd found him.

        Kelly was back on the third floor and had pretty much given up hope.  She'd really thought she would find him, being able to see so much as she passed by, but there had been no sign of him.  She headed back to the second floor to meet up with Scott, hoping he'd had better luck.