Chapter 108 -- Flip

*** Suicide warning but DON'T panic!!!

Midge sat quietly while Mister Guy typed a lot and swore at his printer and computer. He had a million questions but it didn't seem to be the right time to ask.

"Okay, Midge Golding, right?"

"I do not understand Golding. Why is that my name?"

"It's your mother's name and I'd like you to use it unless there's a damn good reason not to. Y'all are hard enough to track as it is."

"It is fine. How do you spell it?"

"Why?"

"I want to be able to read and write it."

"It's G-O-L-D-I-N-G. You know, if you want to stay free we can get you enrolled in some education, teach you how to read, try to get your GED eventually."

"I know how to read, although I am not perfect. I have much to learn."

"Wait, you what? Who taught you?" Guy asked, amazed.

"I am sorry, if it is wrong. I did not know."

"Hell no it's not wrong but you'd be the first. Sorry, I get sort of animated when I'm excited, I'm not mad. Always wondered if y'all could read if someone taught you. Where'd you learn?"

"Scott taught me. He gave me apps and games on my phone and bought me books."

Guy leaned back in his chair, thinking. He'd never met an owner who gave their Neko's one ounce of independence. Sure, some of them weren't all bad. Hell, Midge's sister had one of the nicer ones he'd come across, a couple who seemed to treat her pretty well for a Neko. But teaching one to read? He thought back to the comments on the plane, about Midge saying Scott wanted to get his papers, to his wife's reaction to his mention of loving him.

Ten years ago none of this would have bothered him. When he was fresh out of the academy he stamped them and sent them on their way without a care in the world. He followed the regulations, insane as some of them were, and minded his own business. They were just Nekos, a troublesome problem that needed to be managed. Then he'd met Jenny.

Jenny's owner had brought her in for papers and he'd had to turn his head in order to not lose his lunch. She was skin and bones and obviously sick, shivering and scared and acting as if she'd never left her house before. He'd demanded a private meeting with her, knowing he could be reprimanded but not caring. After an hour of her gentle one-word answers he knew enough and what he knew changed everything for him.

He confiscated her, went through miles of red tape and enough meetings with his supervisors in D.C. that the damn airline security recognized him and said 'hello'. She'd been placed in a hotel but over the first few weeks she got only worse, not better. He'd contacted the only family he knew of, a sister, but she could not and would not take her back into her home. His wife had begged him to let her move in, told him that she needed people, contact, interaction. Then, he hadn't been willing to bend or break the rules. Then, he'd truly believed everything Williams had put in his reports.

He'd gotten the call early one morning from the police, notifying him that she had jumped to her death, diving off the hotel balcony. Those words, his failure, had spurred him to change tactics, to learn everything he could, to start over. He'd interviewed every single one that came in to get registered, visited most of them in their homes after new sales had been recorded and filed. And yes, he'd pulled a few out of bad situations.

Most of the ones he rescued, either from the police, the streets, or their owners eventually went back into service. They needed it, somehow, and seemed happy enough if their owners were kind. Honestly, they were mostly happy even if they weren't. Nekos fascinated him, and this one in front of him more than any of the others. A Neko who could read? Who had been through so much abuse yet answered his questions boldly, with eyes raised? A Neko who loved his master?

The problem was, even if this 'Scott' was the most amazing guy on the planet, his sale wasn't authorized. He had to track down the relatives of his last owner, because they officially owned him now. Midge couldn't just pick who he wanted. Besides, Scott hadn't been through the training, hadn't been background checked and registered as an owner. God, the paperwork and bullshit this was going to cause!

But maybe, just maybe, it was worth giving this guy a call and scheduling a meeting. He hadn't been doing this job for 15 years without learning to read people and not much got by him anymore. As much as he liked the idea of a free Neko, the government certainly didn't and if Midge could actually go with someone who treated him well.... that was probably best for everyone. Hell only knew how he was going to make it happen though. First things first....

"Okay Midge, tell me more about Scott."