Chapter 77 -- Bravery

"You don't have to do this.  Really.  I am SO sorry I pushed you."  Scott was turned as much as he could in the car, worried about Midge who was holding on to his seat for dear life.  "I can call her and ask her to take him home.  It's fine."

Midge had been through two showers and as many shirts and he was soaking through another one.  He swallowed, then scratched at his ear which was twitching even though it was pinned down, resulting in an annoying itch.  He didn't say a word, simply opened the car door and walked through the parking lot towards the studio door.

Scott jumped out of the car and caught up, reaching for one of his hands and holding it in his.  "Nothing bad will happen.  Olaf is adorable and he will love you."  He pushed the door open and suddenly it was chaos.

Olaf was barking, lunging as hard as he could against his harness and practically pulling Kelly along with him.  Avi took the leash from her and she bent down to grab him around the neck, trying to calm him down.

Midge was hiding behind Scott, fisting the back of his shirt in his hands and unknowingly practically choking Scott in the process.

Everyone was trying to calm down the crazed pup but he was absolutely determined to get to Midge and refused to be distracted from his goal.  He was up on his hind legs, pawing at the air and barking and yipping excitedly.

"Fuck" Scott muttered under his breath.  "Maybe we should go outside Midge" he said, hoping he would be heard through all the noise.

Midge looked around at everyone in the room, making sure there was no one about who didn't know about him.  Then, he took one step to the side and hissed at Olaf.  The hair on his arms and neck was standing upright and his eyes were wide.

Olaf hushed immediately, falling onto all fours and turning his head to the side, bewildered before laying down next to Kelly.

"Stupid dog.  What was all that fuss about, huh?" Midge asked.  "You think you are tough but you are silly."

Scott's, along with almost everyone else's, mouth hung open.  Then he laughed, shaking his head back and forth.  "You are something Midge, that was literally the most amazing thing I've ever seen.  How did you do that?"

"I do not know.  I just... I just did.  We did it as children sometimes, playing games, but I have never actually tried it on a dog."  He slumped onto the nearby chair, exhausted by his fear.

        "God Midge, I'm so sorry!  I had no idea he would freak out like that" Kelly said, worried.

"It is fine.  I am fine and he is confused but fine too I think."

Everyone watched as Olaf stood, then dug under a chair for his ball which had rolled underneath it before all the rucus.  When he retrieved it, he walked as far as he could towards Midge but Avi held him back.  When he realized he was stuck, he dropped the ball and it rolled towards Midge, a peace offering.

"I will not touch that slimy ball that you licked, stupid dog."  He kicked at it with his foot, sending it back in Olaf's direction.  Olaf nudged it with his nose, sending it rolling back to Midge's feet.

"I guess he's decided that he likes you" Scott said, going over to pet him.

"I suppose that is better than wanting to kill me" Midge answered, ignoring the ball.

        "I'm going to put him in his crate and then we can talk business" Kelly said.

"NO!" Midge yelped.  "I... I am sorry.  It is fine, he is a stupid dog.  It is big enough for him?"

        "He loves it and yeah, it's huge.  It's okay Midge, really.  And don't worry, he won't be able to get out."

"I know he can not.  It is fine" he answered quietly.

Scott watched Midge's reaction and saw the look on his face when he passed by the crate on the way to the chair Scott pointed out for him to use.  Something was up, there.  Something he probably didn't want to know about.  The problem with things like that is once they're in your head, it's very hard to let go.  He decided that Midge had probably spent time in one while he was with one of his jackass masters and then tried very hard to get the image out of his mind.  "Okay guys, I told him the basics and he'd like to hear the song before he makes up his mind.  Can we run through it?"

        "Seems more than fair" Avi said.

After the first run through they started working on Midge's part, filling in the background.  After about half an hour, Scott had an epiphany.  "He should sing the lead."

"That's your part Scott" Kevin said.  "I mean, do you really want to give it up?"

"I think he could slay it, totally.  Let's try.  Do you still have the lyric sheet Avi?"

Music and papers were passed around and Midge agreed to give it a try after much urging on by Scott and Kelly. The first few runs were a bit rough as they reworked some of the harmonies go to with his higher tenor but within an hour it was shaping into one of their favorite songs they'd done.  They did a final run-through without Midge so that he could record it with his phone and practice over the weekend while they were gone.

        "So we'll get this one recorded late next week?  We have studio Wednesday and Thursday" Avi said, checking his calendar.

"Up to you Midge, are you sure you want to do this?  It's absolutely okay for you to say no." Scott said, hoping he would feel safe enough to tell them what he wanted.

"I enjoy singing with you very much and would be very happy to record the song with you."  Midge answered.  He walked by Olaf's cage on the way out and paused.  Then, slowly, he stretched his hand out to see what the dog's reaction would be.  He giggled when Olaf pressed his side against Midge's fingers, asking to be scratched.  "He is not so bad.... for a dog."