Chapter 27 -- Breakfast

Scott woke to the smell of coffee, and.... food. He ran his fingers through his hair and detoured by the kitchen on his way to the bathroom.  "You're cooking breakfast?"

"I hope it is okay."

"It it ALWAYS okay.  I'll be right back."  A few minutes later there was a stack of pancakes and a steaming cup of coffee at his usual place on the counter.  "Wow" he said, sitting down.  "Do you need any help?" he asked when a second plate didn't appear.

"No, I just need to cook mine.  Please, eat."

He sipped his coffee for a moment and when Midge sat down beside him he dug in.  They ate in easy silence, his knee pressed against Midge's under the counter.  "Once the coffee kicks in and I'm alive, we need to talk about the whole..." he waved his fork in a circle "Whatever I have to do to take you to Arizona thing."

"You do not even like the words?  I am not sure how to talk about it without them, but I can try."

"No, I guess if we're going to consider the damn concept I have to at least accept the words.  You said I had to collar you, do you mean like a real collar, around your neck like a damn dog?"

"I am NOT a DOG!"  He immediately bowed his head  "I am sorry, so sorry Sir. Please, I did not-"

"Look at me."  He waited a moment and hated the look in Midge's eyes when he finally did.  "It's fine.  You're allowed to have feelings, and get mad at me.  I didn't mean to compare you, but, well, yeah I did.  You're right, you're NOT a dog and that's why I can't put a collar on you, do you understand what I mean?  Am I making sense?"

"Yes, but it is not... I guess it *is* the same, in some ways.  I should not have been angry."

"But go back, we need to go slow because I don't understand.   Is that what you mean when you say collar?"

"Yes, a mark of ownership around my neck."

"I can't do that.  There's no way, unless it's like a necklace or something.  Not a locked, buckled damn collar that I can hook a leash to or chain you up with.  That's what they did before, right?  I won't."

"I... I guess it could be anything of your choosing.  It is usually a collar but... I do not think it must be."

"How about a bracelet?  That would be even better, I might be able to handle that.  I mean, who are we trying to impress?  Other owners, you, me?  Who is it for Midge?"

"It is for me.  And for you, of course."

"For you?  Why would you want one?"

"It is security, safety, a home.  Being wanted."

"But if it's for you, why do we have to do it before Arizona?  I don't understand how it makes you safe."

"It is hard to explain.  An owned Neko acts differently, defers differently, is protective.  It is obvious to others.  Once you see it, it will be obvious to you as well.  I  do already act much as I would, in many ways, but I worry about  my reactions if I were tested."

"So, let me get this straight.  I 'collar' you somehow and you magically change, which, by the way, is NOT okay with me, and everyone else knows it.  Some asshole who wants to own you can walk up and just KNOW that you're not available?"

"You say it oddly, and I know you are making fun, but the basic premise is correct."

"I don't want you to act differently.  I love the 'you' I get to see sometimes, like when you got brave enough to hit me in the head last night, or when you actually tell me how you feel.  I want MORE of that, not.... not less."

"It would make me more brave, in some ways."

Scott stuffed another bite of pancake into his mouth, trying to grasp everything Midge had already told him.  "Explain.  I want to understand.  If I have to make a decision like this, I need to know everything."

"I would feel more secure.  I would defend you, support you no matter what happened.  I will not obey the orders of other humans.  When it is good, ownership is what all Nekos strive for.  I WANT to be owned, by someone kind, someone good.  I know you do not like Trent, but I was happy with him because I was his.  It is a release, a comfort to not worry."

"Okay, can I think about all of that for awhile?  I need it to sink in.  I wish I knew other Nekos, other owners who weren't, well, who were more like us.  I wish someone could help me.  I wonder if Sebastian and Misty are like us."

"I can only hope he brings her half as much joy as I have with you."

"You're sweet, thank you."  Scott kissed him then, thoroughly, pulling him onto his lap when Midge needed more contact.  Afterwards he rested his forehead against his.  "Does kissing me bring back bad memories Midge?  I hate to ruin the moment, but I have to know if it bothers you.  I don't think you'd tell me unless I ask."

"No.  I have no memories good or bad.  I like it very much."

"No...... memories.  You've never been kissed?"  His look of shock changed into a grin.  "I kinda like that I'm your first, even if that makes me a caveman."

"You are no caveman, Scott.  In fact you have almost no hair.  I meant to ask how you would like my hair.  I can remove any you do not like."

"I..... no, no, it's fine.  You are perfect just as you are.  Although these little random ones on your chest do amuse me.  You have big patches and then, like this one" he pointed "is all lonely."

"You would like me to be more, how do I say it, even?"

"No, no, don't change a thing.  Please.  It's your body and it's perfect.  Speaking of bodies, mine is a bit ripe and I need a shower.  I do my best thinking in the shower, so it may be awhile."

"I will clean up, and perhaps work on my reading if that pleases you."

"You reading pleases me very, very much.  After rehearsal we can read your books together if you'd like."

"Thank you, I would very much like your help."