Chapter 62 -- Thanksgiving Pt. 2

Midge had thought the rehearsals he'd attended were crazy with so many people talking at once, in sometimes small spaces. This was a whole level above that though. He peeked around Zac's arm but stayed close behind. He wanted to hold his hand but it wouldn't be proper so he instead stuck them in his pockets. There were at least 20 people here, and his ears said even more but the noise just blended into a loud cacophony.

Zac hugged Jake and handed him the pie he'd picked up from the bakery yesterday. "Thanks for having us."

"Oh Please! girl. I'm just glad you finally graced us with your presence this year. You must be the famous Midge" he said, leaning to the side to try to get a glimpse of the boy he'd heard so much about.

"Hello. It is nice to meet you."

"Midge, this is Jake. It's his place, and he's my best friend so if you need anything at all just let him know" Zac said, moving out of the way so they could see each other.

"There's beer, soda and water in the coolers. Wine is in the corner. Help yourselves. Dinner in about 2 hours, or whenever it's ready" Jake joked, then disappeared back into the kitchen.

Midge just looked to Zac to see what the next move was.

"Do you drink?"

"Of course" he answered. All animals drink. Humans are very odd.

Zac walked over to the wine table and poured himself and Midge each a glass. "Happy Thanksgiving Midge" he said, clinking the glasses and taking a sip.

Midge copied, taking a small drink. "This is very good."

"Haven't met much Chardonnay I didn't like. Let me show you around a bit and introduce you to a few people. You don't need to try to remember everyone's names so don't worry.

An hour later Midge's head was spinning. He'd met Grace, Kira and Julia and spent some time with them which had been fun. The men's names were all blending together for him though, there were so many. He remembered Jake and Tyler but the rest were a blur. He looked for Zac and spotted him at the wine table and went over to grab another glass. "May I have another?"

"Sure. How are you doing? It's a little crazy in here."

"It is. Everyone seems very nice though."

"They are. Jake said dinner will be early but we have a few minutes to get some air if you want. Balcony?"

"That would be nice." Midge followed him out, grateful for some fresh air and a bit less noise. "May I ask you a question?"

"Absolutely."

"You told me, when we first met at the party, that I talk like my sister. Today Julia asked where I was from and seemed confused when I said Texas. Can you explain?"

"Well you certainly don't have a southern accent, that's for sure. I meant your diction though. You speak very formally, don't use contractions often. It's just a little, I don't know, unusual I guess."

"You mean I say 'I do not'?"

"Exactly."

"And I would sound more like a real person if I did?"

"A real person? Not sure I would put it that way but yeah, you would blend in better I think, if that's what you mean by 'real'. It's not a big deal though, really."

"I will keep that in mind. Thank you" he said, finishing off his glass. "This really is very good." His phone rang in his pocket and he reached for it.

"I'll give you some privacy. Tell him 'hi' from me." Zac walked back into the living room, closing the sliding door behind him.

"Hello Scott."

"It's so good to hear your voice. How's everything going?"

"It is.. It's fine. We are at Jake's house and will eat dinner soon. Zac requested that I tell you 'hi' from him."

"Wish I was there, dinner sounds good. I'm in Georgia getting ready to go onstage in about 20 minutes. We're going to have a little meal afterwards, I think. I wanted to check in now just in case I don't get a chance to call later tonight. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"That is... that's fine. I will see you tomorrow."

"Please be careful Midge. I miss you like crazy."

Midge hung up the call and went inside to find Zac. He didn't see him, but Tyler called him over.

"Hey girl, you need a drink. What can I pour you?"

"I am a boy. Chardonnay please. Thank you."

Tyler just laughed. "No problem. So, tell me, you and Scott?" he asked, eyebrows raised.

"Scott and I?"

"Scott and.... whatever. Yes. So what's going on there? Is it serious?"

Midge looked down at his bracelet and then back up at Tyler. "Yes. I think it is serious."

"Well good for you honey. You'll have to teach me the secret to being buddies with an ex sometime because that is information we could ALL use." He giggled and looked around the room, his eyes settling on Zac. "Yes, that knowledge needs to be shared, especially with this incestuous little clan." He held out the wine and topped off his glass and then Midge's before smiling and walking away.

"Midge, dinner is served. Come get a plate" Zac said, appearing behind him. "You have a drink, right? Good, let's eat." He led him towards the counter and put a plate in his hand before grabbing one for himself.

"There is too much food, how do I choose?" he asked, his eyes almost as big as his plate.

"Well, I have learned one little trick along the way. Some things will be gone after the first round, like that insanely good mac and cheese, so make sure you get some now. Bread always waits till later, so does dessert."

"I will never be able to eat everything" he said, disappointed.

"That is the joy and sorrow of a really good dinner, my friend. No matter what, there will be regrets. Luckily, there is always pie and coffee later and another Thanksgiving next year."

Midge sat down on the couch next to Zac, his nearly overflowing plate on his knees. He'd tried to get a spoonful of almost everything so that he could try it and get more of the things he liked best. He gladly accepted the glass of wine he was offered although he saw Zac decline and considered changing his answer. Once he took a sip though he was glad he'd stuck with his choice.

Twenty minutes later Zac carefully slid the plate off of Midge's knees and angled him towards the pillow against the arm of the sofa. He'd never seen anyone fall asleep in the middle of eating, but he didn't have much experience eating with Neko's either. Scott had told him that he usually took a nap which he hadn't done today, so he wasn't too concerned. He went to get seconds and chuckled to himself when he looked back at Midge who was curled into a ball, sleeping peacefully. Who could possibly compete with that?