one

Skylar.

I could hear them fighting, but they didn't know that, they made sure to do it when they thought I was asleep or far enough to where I couldn't hear them.

Dinner had been awkward, the laughter and jokes had slowly faded to silence and dismissed conversation about everyone's day.

My parents were always irritated together, but they didn't think I knew that.

I knew something was up.

I knew something had happened

Because one day my mom and dad went from being the happiest couple around town, to the most distant and depressed that I've ever seen.

But they think that I haven't picked up on any of this.

They assume I know nothing, that I think mom and dad are still happy mom and dad.

But I know.

I also know that there's a reason why I had been called from doing my homework, to the kitchen table.

I was nervous for that reason, but I didn't question it.

I watched as my dad came to me, sitting beside me, pulling me into his embrace, which I leaned into.

"Hi princess" he exhaled, kissing my head gently.

"Hey" I spoke quietly, watching my mom as she took the open seat across the table.

"So, you know we have to talk to you" my mom mumbled, her eyes staying focused on me.

Divorce, I knew it was coming.

I could feel it.

"Is it about the fighting?" I asked, making my dads grip immediately tighten around me.

"You heard us?" My dads voice spoke quietly.

"Sometimes, yeah" I exhaled slowly, watching them exchange a glance.

"Yes. It's about the fighting, Sky" my mom spoke slowly.

I felt the tears coming into my eyes.

"Your dad and I decided that we will be separating" she slowly broke the news to me, making me go silent, just blinking towards her.

"Talk to us, babygirl" my dad mumbled quietly.

"I want you guys to stay together" I swallowed, not letting my voice crack the way it wanted to.

We could fix this
I could help them become that happy family that we used to be.

"We'll be happier separated, princess" my dad spoke, kissing my head gently.

I let my knee bounce.

"Why are you fighting?" I asked them.

"That's an adult topic" my mom spoke slowly.

I refrained from rolling my eyes.

"So what happens now?" I asked.

"Well, we have a court date arranged for tomorrow-" "so you both waited to tell me until the day before you do it?" I cut my mom off quickly.

"We're sorry. We took the first available date, and it happened to be tomorrow." She spoke quickly.

My dads grip was tight around me, almost as if he was scared I was going to run away from him.

"So it ends tomorrow?" I asked.

My mom nodded slowly.

"And who's moving out?" I asked them.

"Your dad-" "but you will be at my house every other week-" "you fucking wish." My mom laughed out to him, making his grip tighten more.

"Not the time, Jessica." My dad spoke forcefully towards her.

"She knows we've been fighting-" "that doesn't mean we should subject her to watch us have a full brawl at the table, keep your calm." My dad remained surprisingly calm.

"Do I get to choose who I live with?" I asked.

"No" my mom immediately spoke.

"Don't listen to her" my dad spoke calmly.

"You get a say, you just have to write it down and sign it so we can show the judge and that will impact his decision-" "why not let her go to court?" My mom spat.

"You want her to have to watch that mess? I don't even want to watch it, Jessica." My dad asked.

My mom exhaled loudly, leaning her elbows onto the table.

"I mean, if you want her there, we'll bring her, but know that she's also going to be entitled to know why we are fighting-" "you shut up!" She yelled, moving to her feet, making my dad laugh.

"You can't help but make a scene, can you?"

I knew I wasn't going to get any homework done tonight.

The more questions I tried to ask, the more arguing I caused.

I was soon at the table, alone- listening to my mom and dad yell in the kitchen.

"I can't wait until you're out of my fucking life!" My mom screamed, slamming cabinets as my dad entered the dining room, seeing me.

"How about you go spend the night with uncle Cal, Michael and Ash until I can get packed and out of here, just so you have a calm place to stay?" He suggested slowly, clearly not wanting to force me to go, but yet he knew it was the best option.

"I think that's a good idea"