forty-three

"Wait Sierra" she spoke as we pushed her into the elevator, trying not to hit any walls as we all laughed our asses off at what she was saying.

"Yes, sunshine?" I asked her with a smile.

"I didn't tell Jack and Ben goodbye-" "you did, five different times." I laughed to her.

"And not one of you motherfuckers let me talk to my dad" she raised her eyebrows to me- and she had a solid point.

"Want to make a video for him?" I asked her right before we brought her into the sanitizing room, everyone stopping, giving her a minute to make a video.

So I videoed as I nurse pulled her hair into a pony tail.

"Hi dad, Luke." She spoke, making me instantly smile.

"They gave me the good stuff, we're goin to get the not good stuff out of me and I just wanted to say goodbye because not one of these doctors gave me the option to tell my father that I loved him, so yes, I love you, I see you soon." She spoke with a tired smile, wincing lightly throughout the video as the nurse finished her pony tail.

We put a cap over her hair, each of us scrubbing in, putting caps over our hair and masks on before entering with her.

We helped her move to the solid OR bed, where I immediately covered from her hips down with a blanket.

"I feel like a fucking- dead body, what? Y'all only give beds that feel like the fucking ground?" She asked, making both me and the anesthesiologists laugh.

"It's metal, because it's an OR bed" I told her with a smile.

"This is wack- one day I'm going to run a hospital and I'll have the best beds in the world in the OR" she spoke firmly.

"You do that." Blake, the anesthesiologists smiled to her loopy body.

She looked around, letting Blake hook tubing up to her IV as everyone set up, waiting on Ashton.

"How many people have died where I'm laying?" She asked randomly, her eyes meeting mine.

"Skylar, why are you asking me this?" I asked her.

"I'm just wondering, because like- my butt is touching where another dead persons butt may have touched- it'd be a little weird if I didn't know about how many people's dead butts have touched my alive butt now" she spoke- confusing the hell out of me, but yet I weirdly understood what she was saying.

"Each OR is deeply sanitized after each surgery." I told her, watching her nod.

"I feel really good" she spoke to me, making me smile.

"I'm glad" I told her truthfully.

Soon the doors opened and I watched Ashton enter, slipping gloves on.

"We've got a talker- she's feeling good!" Blake laughed out once he completely entered, his smile visible.

"I'm so glad my girl is smiling" he spoke, his eyes focusing to her.

"This bed is really fucking hard" she spoke to him, never dropping her smile.

"Language" he spoke to her through a laugh.

"Are you ready to start?" He then asked.

"Well I guess I am." She sighed out.

"Okay, Blake- your anesthesiologists beside you're head is going to put some sedative into your IV, you're going to get a cold rush  and that's  it, you'll still be aware, but once things around the OR start moving, I want you to tell us, until then, I'm going to clean your lower tummy, okay?" She gave him a solid nod.

I watched as he first pulled the blanket up on her hips before lifting her gown just a little above her belly button.

Her free hand grabbed his side gently, making him glance to her.

"You're okay- it's just me and Sierra" he gave her a solid nod, making her nod, but she still didn't let go.

As soon as the cleaner touching her stomach, she tensed

"Oh my fuck- that's freezing Ash" she spoke quickly- chill bumps immediately showing themselves on her skin.

"I know princess, just try to ignore it" he spoke slowly.

She held his side tightly as he cleaned the area he was going to cut, her eyes never leaving him.

"Ash" she mumbled quietly after a few seconds of quietness.

"Yes, my love?" He asked her.

"I'm spinning" she spoke.

He immediately put down what he had in his hands, wiping his gloves hands with a rag before holding her hand gently.

"Okay, look to the roof and I want you to slowly count to ceiling panels, Blake is going to put a mask over your nose and mouth, and you need to just breathe normally, okay?" He told her, making her mumble a quick "okay"

I watched her eyes go to the roof, she didn't count, but she held Ashton and my own's hand with a tight grip.

"I love you" she spoke firmly.

"I love you more, Sky"

Within seconds of the mask covering her face, her grip on her hands relaxed completely.

"She's out" the anesthesiologists mumbled.

"Let's get this out of her"