nineteen

Luke.

I plugged my phone up, making sure the FaceTime stayed up, her sleeping body in the perfect view of the camera.

She slept on her stomach, her face turned to the phone, her arms under her pillow, her facial expression relaxed- telling me she was in a deep sleep.

Nothing had happened in the past hour of her sleeping besides her mom opening the door to throw an extra blanket on her bed and some loud talking, but other than that- everything sounded normal.

I turned my phone on full volume, laying it to where I could continue to see the screen as I laid down.

I prayed that she would be okay and that she wasn't going through any emotions that she couldn't handle, and if she was- I prayed that she would talk to me about it.

Skylar.

I woke up to a consistent banging on the wall, it wasn't extremely loud, but loud enough to wake me.

I sat up, glancing around the room- realizing it was coming from someone else's room.

I looked to my phone, seeing Dad sleeping, phone in hand as he did.

I muted the call, not wanting my movement to wake him as I got up, slowly walking into the hall, curious at the noise.

As I rounded the corner of the hall- right beside Antonio's room, I realized it was coming from Antonio's room.

Along with a few moans

Moans in the same voice as my very own mother.

I almost ran back to bed.

It was four in the morning and I was now wide awake, thinking about my mother having sex with her weird ass friend.

I unmuted my dads call, trying to go back to sleep.

I covered my head with a pillow, I tried playing relaxing ocean noises from my computer, I tried turning on a movie, but they didn't stop- and neither did my thoughts.

So I decided to do homework.

I started an essay that I was behind on, pulling my hair into a bun and putting on my glasses since I didn't feel like putting my contacts in this early.

Around five thirty, as I was finishing up my essay, I heard my dads door open through the phone- making me look to him as he immediately woke up.

"Where'd we put the coffee?" I heard Ashton's tired voice talk.

"Fuck" I heard Dad whisper, turning to look to Ashton.

"Check the freezer, second shelf" he mumbled, the light from the hall disappearing, telling me Ashton shut the door.

I listening to him groaning for a few seconds, letting out stretches before his full face came onto the screen.

"Why are you up so early?" He asked me.

"Catching up on homework-" "you set an alarm?" He asked, seeming more than confused.

"No, I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep." I spoke to him.

"You do that often?" He asked.

"This is the first time" I spoke, watching him slowly nod.

"Let me know if it keeps happening, I'll get you a natural medicine that'll keep your brain from waking you up."

He stayed on the phone with me, letting me ask him multiple questions about my homework as he got ready.

"She's very talkative this morning" I heard Calum say as his face came into the view of the screen.

"She's doing homework" dad informed him, making him slowly nod.

"Our future surgeon is just about as dedicated as you were in high school-" "she's more dedicated, a junior taking college classes, she's working her ass off" he bragged, a smile on his face as he looked back to the screen.

"So, do you have it all planned out? You know what field of medicine you want to go into?" Michael's voice spoke, making Luke turn the phone to where I could see him too.

"Cardiovascular- like her Dad" Luke spoke, with a hopeful smile on his face.

"Why not General?" Calum immediately seemed offended, staring into the phone as I smiled.

"I'm telling you- general is the way to go, I get to do surgery on everything from bones, to organs to-" "what about gynecology, not many people can say that they bring lives into this world" Ashton's voice yelled over Calum, making me laugh lightly.

"Woah, woah, woah- at the end of the day it's her decision, we shouldn't persuade her in any way" michael spoke to the boys, and I could hear the smile on his face.

"But- while we're discussing, I'm just going to simply say- nothing makes a bad day better than being able to pop, set or break a bone"

Just as he finished, my mom opened the door- making me frown

"I could break a bone about now"