eight

Thursday.

two more days.

That's all I had to wait.

Mom had broken her promise Tuesday and Wednesday night, I'm sure she was planning to break it again tonight.

But everyday that she picked me up from school, I got a long apology that I was starting to believe less and less.

But I was so excited to be with my dad.

"Do you have any plans for tomorrow night?" My mom spoke, coming into my room as I studied for a test.

"No, I'll be packing to go to dads most likely-" "great, I'm taking you out to eat" she spoke, making me look to her.

"Alone?" I asked quickly.

"Yes" she smiled slowly.

"Mother, daughter date." She grinned widely.

"Cool" I responded slowly, in no way excited for the plans.

She sat on my bed, making me refrain from rolling my eyes .

"Why are you always studying?" She asked me.

"Medical school isn't easy to get into" I pointed out, hearing her sigh.

"You know you don't have to follow in your dads footsteps, he puts a lot of pressure on you, but if you want to do anything else- you can-" "I want to be a doctor." I spoke firmly.

"O-oh okay" she cleared her throat lightly.

"I was just making sure that you knew, you have more options than what your dad puts into your head." She spoke.

"He isn't forcing me into this." I told her, watching her nod.

"Okay, I was just making sure" she almost whispered, clearing her throat lightly.

"Do you need any help?" She asked me, making me look to her.

"I think I'm good, unless you just want to stay" I mumbled, not wanting to flat out say 'I'm fine, but trying to study so please get the fuck out and let me focus'.

"Yeah- I'd like that" she mumbled, sitting on my bed, making me refrain from closing my eyes out of frustration.

"How have you been?" She asked me.

"I'm good, just doing school and stuff" I spoke.

"So mentally, you're okay?" she asked me, making me go silent for a few moments.

"That silence scares me" she mumbled.

"Why are you doing drugs?" I asked her, seeing panic run through her face.

"Sweetie- I just needed an escape from all the feelings-" "There's different ways to feel that, we could've went on a vacation, skydiving- anything but drugs and alcohol" I spoke to her quickly.

"I know, I know- I understand why you feel this way too, I shouldn't be raising my child around that and I promise, after yesterday, it won't be happening again." She spoke firmly.

"You've said that three times." I spoke firmly, seeing her sigh.

"Give me a break and trust me please." She almost begged me with her eyes, making me blink to her slowly.

"I do trust you" I mumbled.

"Okay, then believe me when I say, I'm done."

"Prove it to me."