forty-one

Thankfully, it was soon over.

"It's fibroids." He spoke to me- making me instantly close my eyes.

That's surgery.

"What's that?" She asked me tiredly, the drugs hitting her hard.

"It's a growth that sometimes comes up on ladies, it causes prolonged bleeding, seriously bad cramps, back pain, a fever and some other symptoms" Mason explained to her as I covered her up- praying he would leave so I could get her shorts back on her.

"How do you stop it?" She asked.

"Surgery." He spoke out immediately- as if it was such an easy thing for her to process.

"Get out" I spoke to him simply.

"Excuse me Doctor Sierra, who is the intern and who is the attending-" "Doctor Irwin is assigned to this case and will be here in an hour, he can schedule and proceed with the surgery, you're no longer needed, thank you." I spoke to him firmly.

He could get me fired

But I didn't give a flying fuck.

I helped her get dressed again before letting Jack and Ben back in, them telling me Ashton was a little less than an hour away and still no word from Luke.

"You need to sleep" I told Sky slowly, seeing that her eyes were becoming bloodshot and she was likely going to get sick if she didn't sleep it off.

"Don't leave me." She spoke, making me sit with her.

"Okay- I'm right here, just go to sleep and I'll wake you up as soon as something changes" I assured her quietly.

I held her into my body as she stopped fighting the medicines- letting it overtake her body until she was asleep.

"What is it that she has?" Jack asked me.

"Fibroids, it's a growth that women usually get- it's not normal for young girls to get, but with all the stress and hormones she's been feeling- I guess that's what made it come up" I told them slowly, trying to piece it together.

"And that requires surgery?" Ben asked me.

"Yeah- they'll have to cut it out." I mumbled to them.

Jack sat down, exhaling and looking to her sleeping body.

"This poor kid can't catch a damn break."

Ashton.

I quickly parked in my normal parking spot, running into the building, to the room Jack had texted me.

I ran in, seeing Sierra and Skylar in bed together, Skylar in a deep sleep- her head on Sierra's chest as Sierra hugged her.

"Ashton" jack spoke- seeming thankful.

"What's the prognosis?" I asked, making Sierra sit up, grabbing papers and ultrasound scans off the beside table.

"Doctor Mason diagnosed fibroids." She spoke to me.

"And he's sure?" I questioned- knowing this usually comes up in older women, not teenage girls.

"I assume it's her stress level" Sierra spoke, which was a good point.

I looked to the scans- seeing exactly what she said.

Fibroids.

"This is transvaginal?" I asked her- noticing that the angles were not normal ultrasound angles.

"Yes" Sierra exhaled.

"Oh my God" I exhaled, rubbing my face lightly- seeing that her pulse and blood pressure was high, but that didn't shock me with the day that she had.

"He gave her a sort of relaxer- he didn't tell me the name but it made her woozy and knocked her out as soon as she stopped fighting it." Sierra told me.

"I do not want to operate on her today." I spoke firmly, knowing I should, but yet not wanting to put her little body under anymore stress.

"I think you need to talk to Luke" Sierra mumbled.

"Good point"

I went outside, calling Luke.

"How's my baby?" He answered- sounding as if he had been crying.

"Are you crying-" "I'm trying to guilt trip these bitches into letting me go home, so yes- I cried, how's my child?" He repeated the question.

"She is sleeping, she's went through a lot today- she had an external and transvaginal ultrasound, she's got blood blisters around her eyes from crying so much, she's bloated to hell and back- even with cooling rags on her for twenty minutes, and she needs surgery to remove fibroids." I told him.

I heard him exhaled- his stress level not much better than Skylar's.

"Ashton- that's my babygirl, I need to be home." He spoke firmly.

"I can withhold surgery for a few days, but I can't keep her on these pain relief medicines." I told him truthfully.

"I know- I just, don't know what to fucking do." He groaned out.

"They're even offering to let Calum go home, because their general department doesn't need anymore help, it's just their fucking cardiovascular and orthopedic departments that need help." He sounded stressed as he spoke.

"Can I propose something to you?" I asked him.

"Yeah" he exhaled quietly.

"Jack and Ben are still here and will be here until Monday, send Calum home, you and Michael stay until they'll release you both, I'll do her surgery either today or tomorrow and then we will all take care of her together, shit if she's feeling well and they make you stay longer, I'll take her to you" I spoke, knowing it wasn't out of the question for other hospitals to offer thousands of dollars more for you to stay one more week- and our hospital wouldn't let you turn that down.

"Okay, can you do the surgery today so that you can take her to me sooner if I have to stay?" He asked, seeming almost desperate to see his child, but I didn't blame him.

"I'm going to go wake her up and see how she's feeling, talk to her about the surgery and check out all of her vitals, but I'll let you know" I told him.

"Okay, I'll text you when Calum gets on the road, thank you Ash, please make sure my baby knows that I love her"