MAISIE

What the hell was going on?

I frowned at Dylan's retreating figure and flinched slightly as I heard his door slam shut. He'd changed in the year since I'd seen him. Last summer he'd barely been here, I had caught glimpses of him in the village but then he and his Dad spent the whole time away. Si still wasn't happy that he'd done that. 

He hadn't really changed since high school.  He still wore his glasses with the thick black frames and I could see the intelligence in his dark blue eyes when he glowered at me. His dark blonde hair had grown long and he wore it pushed back from his face. I say he hadn't changed but a part of him had.  I'd never seen him with his top off before and, I'm woman enough to admit, I nearly let out a wee squeal when I saw him at the bottom of the stairs. His chest muscles were taut and combined with definition to his stomach and the way his jeans hung off his hips would have had pretty much anyone throwing themselves at him. I had felt a huge rush of awkwardness flood through me when I'd seen him appear at the foot of the stairs.

He'd looked so confused to see me. I'd surprised myself when I had dragged him into a hug. I've never done that with Dyl, he's Simon's friend. Part of me wanted to fly up the stairs and batter the door with my fist until he opened it just so I could see the look of surprise on his face again. I just wanted to see an expression from him that wasn't full of sadness or anger. The thing is, he only seemed to be like that when he saw me.

I headed to the kitchen, grabbed the beer and walked out of the house. I tucked the key under the plant pot and climbed into my car, a well worn yellow Mini called Bee. She had been my Mum's and I loved driving her even though rain always made it's way through no matter how much tape I applied to all the nooks and crannies. Si hated her so when I was with him, we always went in his car.

My phone rang, just as I started the engine.

"Hi?"

"Maze, where are you? I've been here for ages and your family are driving me mad," Si hissed down the phone.

I chuckled, "You just got there. I've got the beer, I'll be there in ten minutes."

"Thank God," he sighed. "Honestly, if your Aunt shows me one more design of jewellery or your Uncle challenges me to another thumb war, I'm gone."

I grinned, Uncle Nick loved a thumb war.

"Did you know Dylan was home?" I asked.

"Dyl's here?" Si asked, surprised. "I sent him a message but he didn't reply."

"He didn't know about his Dad and my Auntie Jem. I think I overstepped a bit."

"Well, is he coming with you?"

"No. He said he was meeting Mike later at the pub, maybe he wants to see you there?" I offered.

Si grunted down the phone and my stomach clenched in worry. It wasn't good when he got into a mood.

"Should I go back and get him? I'm still in the driveway," I suggested.

Si said nothing and I closed my eyes, knowing what was going to happen if I didn't fix this.

"Tell you what," I whispered suggestively. "I'll come and get you, we can go back to my flat and I'll make you feel better. I bet Mike and Dyl are going to call you to invite you out too and I want some time with you before you go out."

I bit my lip and waited.

"Yeah, come get me, Maze," he grunted.

I ended the call and let out a large gust of air. Fuck, that had been close.

I put Bee into gear and drove towards my parent's house. I had wanted to spend time with my family. I'd wanted to see Dyl's dad blush as my Aunt Jem dragged him up to dance. I'd wanted to laugh with them, with Si's arm around my waist.

Sometimes, I rationalised, you just don't get what you want.