MAISIE

I shoved the sunglasses onto my face and stepped back from Dylan.

"Leave it," I hissed.

Dylan reached out and grabbed my arm, "Maisie, what the fuck?" 

I pushed his arm away, "Please, stop it, Dylan. Just let it go."

Dylan ran his hands through his hair, the strands standing on end. Without his glasses, it felt like his gaze were more intense than I could cope with. I felt a lump form at the base of my throat,I could feel it pushing and I knew if I let it, I was going to cry or scream. 

He exhaled and I could see him working through the right thing to say and coming up with absolutely nothing. 

I shrugged my shoulders and wrapped my arms around myself, wincing because my ribs were on fire. 

"Just.. don't..don't say anything, Dylan, please?"

He stared at me and I turned away, trudging my way through the sand until I got to the concrete.I stepped up and walked to Bee, yanking the door open and climbing in. I sat staring  into nothing, thinking about what the hell I could do. I'd been sitting in a sand dune when I'd seen Dylan walking through the sand to towards the sea. I should have turned around and gone the other way but I found, like I always did when I saw Dylan, that I had to go to him. It was like my body was magnetised to his. 

I rested my head onto the steering wheel and closed my eyes. It hurt to do it but I wanted to sleep, I wanted to go away and not be here. My phone buzzed and I knew it was Si. I bit my lip so hard that I drew blood. I was turning into my fucking mum and I spent years trying so hard not to.

There was a gust of warm air as Bee's passenger door was wrenched open and Dylan flung himself in. He was wearing his t-shirt now and his glasses were back on. I sat up and stared at him, mouth open, wondering what the hell I was going to say. I blinked as I realised that even after Si had been a complete bastard to me that I still wanted to protect him. How messed up was that?

Dylan stared at me then reached out and took off my sunglasses, he folded them and dropped them onto the back seat. I said nothing as he ran his gaze over my face again and again. The air in the car felt thick with tension, of words that needed to be said.

I opened my mouth to say, something, when Dylan reached out and tugged me into the gentlest hug I've ever had. He held onto me so gently like I might break and I burrowed my face into the side of his neck. He ran one hand through my hair and the other held my back. I felt him burrow his face into my hair and take a deep breath in and my stomach fizzed. 

I pulled back slightly, my face to the side of his and flinched when he gently stroked my bruised eye with his thumb. I closed my eyes and felt my lips tremble as he placed a kiss as soft as feather onto my eyelid, he brushed his nose with mine as he covered my face with kisses so soft I barely felt them. I felt his lips graze mine and then he pressed them along my jaw line. I opened my eyes and met his gaze.

"I don't have the words, Maze. I don't know what to say. I just want you to know that whoever did this to you doesn't deserve to even breathe the same air as you. They don't deserve to see your smile or hear your laugh or feel your kindness. They don't deserve to be in your world but Maze.."

Dylan rested his forehead against mine, not breaking eye contact, his hands moving to cup my face.

"Maze, you're the whole world to me."