DYLAN

The next few days went by in a blur. Maze went back to her Aunt's house and pressed charges against Si the next morning. I went with her, sitting outside in Bee until she left the police station, pale but wearing the most determined expression on her face. He'd been arrested almost immediately and despite much cajoling from his Dad's lawyers, he'd been remanded until a trial date was set. 

I hadn't seen her since. Believe me, it wasn't from lack of trying but suddenly, everything and everyone just got in the way. There was police interviews, family discussions and making sure that Maze had all the support she needed. We would text and each night, I'd send her the same sign off.

You're Maze.

And she'd reply, "You're the stars."

I missed her but it seemed to be that I was always missing her, even when she was sitting right next to me. I was scared to blink in case she disappeared in that split second. It scared that shit out of me. 

It was late in the evening and I was sitting on the sofa, reading when my Dad walked in and threw an envelope on my chest. We'd reached an awkward impasse where we both had things to say to each other but neither wanted to be the first to start. Mum would have clunked our heads together and laughed at our stubbornness. 

"What's this?"I asked.

Dad shrugged, sitting on the seat opposite me, "Don't know. It came from the University though."

I stared at the clean, white envelope and my heart dropped into my stomach. This meant that things were going to change and that things were going to move on. It couldn't be summer for ever, no matter how much I wanted it to be. 

I tore it open and read the contents, looking up at my Dad in shock, "I've been accepted. I passed, I...I got a First. They're going to let me start my Masters."

Dad leapt up and pulled me into a hug so tight, my ribs cracked, "Dylan! That's amazing! You're amazing! God, I'm so proud of you son!" 

He pushed me away before kissing me on the cheek and dragging me back into his chest. I smiled as he started talking about a party to celebrate and making sure that everyone was there. He would speak to Jem, she was brilliant at organising things and Maze could help too...

I drifted off then, thinking about what would happen between Maze and I. If I went back to University. What her plans were. The thought of letting her navigate the process of going to court with Simon and me not being there didn't seem to register in my brain. 

Dad let go of me, grabbing his mobile and calling Jem before bounding out of the room sounding like a kid on the best sugar high in the world. I grinned and knew that there was only person I wanted to see right then. So I went to find her.

I cycled to Maze's aunts house and found the place shrouded in darkness so I cycled quickly as I could to the studio. When I got there, the light was on in one of the classrooms so I ran up, shivering from the cold sweat that coated my skin and regretting not wearing a jumper over my t-shirt and jeans. 

I opened the door and called out, "Maze?"

"Dyl? What are you doing here?" I heard from the adjoining room. 

I strode over and opened the door and took her in. She was alone, a yoga mat laid out and she was wearing a thin green yoga top and blue yoga pants. Her hair was pulled up in a bun and her cheeks were flushed. She looked calm and happy. 

"Dyl. Are you ok?" she walked over to me and placed a hand on my chest. 

Her bruising was fading and, instead of covering it up she now wore it with pride, she said it was scarring that she needed to look at to remind her that she was doing the right thing with Simon. She wasn't going to save him this time. 

"I got a letter. From the University. I got a First. They've accepted me onto their Masters program."

Her cornflower blue eyes widened, "Dyl! That's great news! Congratulations!"

She smiled up at me and I smiled down at her, thinking how I wanted to bottle the feeling I had right now and carry it with me all the time, to use on days when life wasn't as brilliant as today was. 

I'm not sure how long we stayed like that, just smiling at each other but suddenly, it wasn't enough. I moved my head closer to hers and kissed her gently. She breathed in sharply before placing her hands on each side of my face and kissing me back. 

Then that didn't seem enough, either. 

Our kissing was leisurely and slow, the room became warmer and my t-shirt was on the floor. I held her close, kissing her lips, cheeks, forehead, neck. We fell onto the yoga mat and I slid my hand under top and gently ran it down her side. She pulled her mouth away from mine to make the sweetest, lowest noise I've ever heard. 

She ran her hands down my back and dug her nails into my shoulder blades, I cursed softly and sucked the skin on her neck below her ear. She shivered and made that noise again and I wanted to make her do it again and again.

"Dyl," she whispered, her mouth close to my ear.

I mumbled something incoherent, fairly sure that there was no way I'd be able to string a sentence together at the moment. I slid my hand further up and ran my thumb along the underside of her bra. She moaned again and any semblance of normal thoughts flew out of my head. 

It was just me and Maze.

Just us. 

"Dyl. Wait."

I was off her in a flash, running my hands through my hair, "Shit. Maze. Shit, I'm sorry. Did I..was it too much?"

She lay on her back, hair untangled from her bun and laughed, "No. It's just..do you really want our first time together to be on a yoga mat in a studio with windows that everyone can see into?"

I blushed and she smiled widely at me before standing up and rolling up her mat. I shoved my t-shirt on and fidgeted awkwardly, trying to calm myself down. Trying to slow down my racing heartbeat. I followed Maze like a lamb through the studio as she locked up and shoved on a blue hoodie, slipping her feet into a pair of Vans. 

"You can put your bike into the back of Bee if you like," she said.

Dismay shot through me, I had completely fucked it up. She was taking me back home.

Maze turned and looked at me, frowning at my expression, "My aunt is away for the night."

I stared at her, my mouth slightly open. Yup, I was hallucinating. All that blood that was flowing back to my brain and other parts of my body was causing me to have a small stroke. I tried to say something but couldn't.

"Come home with me, Dyl."