DYLAN

"Dyl, where have you been?" I felt a hand smack the back of my head.

I winced, sliding my glasses back up the bridge of my nose, "Hey, Si."

Si slumped down onto the bench next to me, wearing a suit and tie. He threw his briefcase down next to him and ran his hand through his hair. He winked at a couple of girls as they went by and they laughed. I felt a flare of anger in my chest as he laughed and sipped his coffee. I closed my book and shoved it back into my bag. I'd been sitting on the bench outside the library for the past hour, reading and enjoying the sun. Since our argument, Dad and I had been avoiding each other pretty well and since Maze and I had kissed, I'd been avoiding her too. I know it's juvenile, fuck, I'm in my twenties but at the moment, I don't want to deal with it all. 

Si took a sip of his coffee, "God, I needed that. I am hungover to hell."

"Good night?" I asked.

Si shrugged and loosened his tie, "Just had a few beers at Maze's flat."

I nodded and thought of Maze. Her smile, her lips, her kiss. I blinked away the images as I watched Si check his phone and frown at it. He shoved it back into his jacket pocket and angled his body towards me. 

"So, what's up man?"

"Nothing," I shrugged. "Just catching up with stuff."

Si frowned at me, "Cut the bullshit. You've been back for over a month and I've seen you..what..twice?"

I raised an eyebrow, "Sorry, mate."

Si's phone chirped, he checked it and then sent a message, his fingers hitting the screen angrily. He exhaled and stared at me. 

"Well, I'm glad I saw you. We're having a party at Maze's on Friday, you're going to come right?"

I paused, frantically grasping for excuses and Si could tell.

Si's eyes narrowed at me, "I'm not taking no for an answer, come on, man. Live a  little. I've got someone I want you to meet too."

Dread built up in my chest as I choked out, "Si, I'm not looking.."

Si cut in, exasperated, "Christ, Dyl. I'm not saying you need to marry the girl, just meet her. Have a drink, have some fun."

Si's phone chirped again and he answered it, "We're outside the library. Hurry up."

I frowned at his blunt manner, wondering who he was talking to like that. I didn't have to wait long as I spotted Maze half jogging towards us. 

"Sorry, I'm late," she muttered, not meeting my eyes. She was wearing a loose top and baggy trousers, her hair was hanging loose around her shoulders and she didn't seem like she was really there. I felt my eyebrows knit together as I took her in, like it was the first time because that is what it felt like. This was a completely different Maze. There was no brightness, no smiles but a deep seated sadness. I remembered the night we sat together on the beach and how sad she'd seemed.  

My jaw clenched, torn between wanting to pull Maze close and kiss her and wanting to punch Si for talking to her like that. I watched as Si stood up and pulled her into him, wrapping his arm tight around her shoulders. Maze winced. She glanced at me and I saw a cold detachment in her beautiful blue eyes. 

"Dylan's coming to the party on Friday," Si told her. He pressed his lips against the top of her head. 

"Is he?"

"Yeah, I'm going to introduce him to Rachel from work. I think he'll like her, don't you?" Si squeezed her shoulders again and Maze flashed a small smile up at him.

"I think that's a great idea," she said, refusing to look at me. 

I swallowed hard, feeling like I was going to throw up. This was Maze telling me that our kiss had been a mistake. I forced a smile on my face.

"Yeah, me too."

Si grinned back at me and I shouldered my bag, acting like everything was ok.

Except it really fucking wasn't.