MAISIE

I woke up the next morning and stared at the ceiling. Si had stayed at his house last night, he always did that after something like this. It was as if he couldn't bear to see what he'd done to me. I ran my finger over my eye socket and winced, I hadn't gone to the hospital so I hoped he hadn't broken anything.

As usual, my thoughts drifted to Dylan. It was becoming more unusual for me not be thinking of him. When had this happened? When had I started to see Dylan as someone who was so good and who I wanted to know more about? I wanted to sit with him on the sofa. I wanted to try and make him laugh just so that I could see his eyes twinkle. I wanted to hold his hand when we walked down the street together. I wanted him to kiss me like he did in the car, delicate and full of.. something.

I'd told him to get out. I had no choice. I had to see Si, otherwise my day would only have steadily become worse. Even when he told me to be with him, all I could see was Si's eyes flaring with anger and his fists clenching. How can I leave this man when I know that he's going to ruin me? What if he hurt Dylan?

There was a knock at my front door, I sat up quickly. I frowned as I slipped out of bed and walked down the corridor. Si was working today, I was supposed to have the day to myself. I thought I'd be ok at least for the day.

I unlocked the door and opened it, relief filling every bone in my body. It was Dylan. He was wearing a fitted black t-shirt, black shorts and walking boots. He smiled at me and I was suddenly very aware that I was dressed in a vest and shorts.

I reached behind the door and grabbed a green hoodie off a hook and threw it on.

"Hi," Dylan said, he shrugged his shoulder and I noticed he was carrying a rucksack.

"Dyl, what are you doing here?" I asked, trying to push him away. If Si knew he was here, he would be so angry...

Dylan grinned, "It's going to be a beautiful day. You aren't working this week and I promised that I'd show you the waterfalls. You fancy a hike?"

I nodded in spite of myself, I couldn't think of anything better.

He exhaled, as if he'd been holding his breath in to see what my answer would be, "Great. Do you want to get dressed and I'll wait out here? I've got everything we need in my pack."

I nodded again and closed the door then I hurried back into my room, changing quickly into my swim suit then adding my short denim cutoffs and a pale blue t-shirt on top. I grabbed some socks and my walking boots, lacing them up as I sat on the edge of my bed. I tried to ignore the butterflies in my stomach at the thought of spending the whole day with Dyl. I yanked my hair up into a messy knot and eyed myself in the mirror.

I looked sad. I felt sad. I didn't feel like Maze anymore. I blinked away the image of my mum, sobbing with her face pressed into a pillow as he screamed at her from the other side of the room. I put my sunglasses on, mainly to cover up my eye and then let myself out of my flat, locking the door behind me.

Dylan was sitting on the steps, staring into the distance. I tapped my boot against his hip.

"Penny for them," I said, trying to smile naturally and finding that with Dylan, it was natural. It was real.

Dyl looked up at me and a blush hit his cheekbones, he stood up and held out his hand to me. I paused then slipped my hand into his. There was that exhale again.

We headed down the stairs and out to Bee. Once in, I looked at him and he pulled up a map on his phone.

"Ready for an adventure, Maze?" he asked.

There were those pesky butterflies again.

"Absolutely," I replied and I had to stop myself from leaning over and kissing him.

He smiled at me and then began to give me directions to the starting point.

*

"Holy shit," I uttered as I wiped the sweat off of my forehead and watched the falls appear from behind a valley of trees.

We entered a clearing and I gasped softly, taking in the pool of blue water in front of us and the stream of water that rained down causing the waterfalls to create rainbows in the sun.

Dyl and I were the only people there, we'd hiked here in a couple of hours and I was ready to cool off. We'd spent the whole trail talking about everything and nothing. He told me about being unsure about what to do now he'd finished Uni. I'd told him about my dreams of travelling. It felt so natural talking to him, there was no forced silences and it was as if our discussion yesterday had never happened. I was starting to realise that I was really glad that it had though. I just didn't feel brave enough to make the step. I was still with Si, after all, even after all the things he'd done to me.

He had rested his rucksack on a large boulder and was pulling out a few things. I spotted a blanket and some bottles of water. I undid my boots and undressed leaving me in my blue swimsuit.After a pause, I threw my sunglasses on top of the pile too. Dylan hadn't noticed as I stepped into the pool and sighed as the cool water covered my warm feet and legs.

I waded further in until I was up to my shoulders then undid my hair and tipped it back into the water. I sighed at the change in temperature. All around where the normal noises of nature, the rustling of animals, birdsong and the noise of the falls. I couldn't believe that I'd never been here before. I lifted my head back up out the water and pushed the droplets that ran down my face away with both hands.

Dylan was watching me from the water's edge.

I smiled, "Are you coming in?"

He began to nod, then stopped.

"Nah, I'll head in afterwards. Fancy some lunch?"

"Dyl, you must be roasting. Come in. It's lovely and cool, " I teased him, splashing water in his direction.

I watched his gaze darken as he stared at me, "I don't think that's a good idea, Maze. I..I'm trying to be your friend here. I..I just don't want.."

Dylan fidgeted with his glasses and looked away from me.

"I'm trying to do the right thing. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable," he whispered, almost to himself. He turned his gaze back to mine and I could see the confusion in his eyes.

We stared at each other in silence as I let his words sink in. I wanted adventure. I wanted conversations with someone. I wanted to be with someone who didn't scare me.

I didn't want to hurt anymore.

I wanted a life.

And I wanted it with Dylan.

I lifted my hand out the water and reached out for him, "This is the right thing, Dylan."