DYLAN

I woke up with my head buried into a mass of blonde hair.It was still early, the dawn was just breaking through and the ceiling was covered in streaks of yellow and pale red. My mind drifted to something my Mum used to say about the dawn sky, 'Red sky at night, shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning'. I remembered Mum telling me that the people used to read the sky and stars for signs of foreboding. I hoped it wasn't true.

 I breathed in deeply, smelling that sweet lemon smell that Maze always seemed to wear. My arms were wrapped around her, holding her close and I couldn't fucking believe it. 

I wanted to time travel back five years; find little Dylan, grab him by the shoulders and tell him to hold on, just hold on because it will all be worth it. He would eventually get the girl with the blue in her hair, she would look at him like he was worth it and he would believe it. She would kiss him and love him. It would be so fucking worth it.

And it was. 

I lay still, enjoying the peace, enjoying Maze and marvelling in the fact that she loved me. 

She.

Loved.

Me.

I replayed the night before over and over in my head, lets be honest, it'll probably be one of the last things I think about on my death bed and smiled to myself. She was mine and I was hers. 

It felt fucking amazing. 

She stirred in my arms and I lay quietly as she came to and fidgeted slightly. She gently slid out from my grip and off the bed, pulling on an oversized t-shirt and shorts. Maze fumbled around the clothes on the floor, grabbed her mobile and started to tiptoe out of the room.

"Morning."

"SHIT!" She screeched, spinning around on one heel before grabbing the wall to steady herself.

I sat up in the bed, the covers pooling around my waist. Maze stared at my chest, her cheeks turning a beautiful rose colour. 

Maze gripped her chest with one hand, "Holy hell in a hand basket, Batman! You scared the ever loving crap out of me."

I burst out laughing, "I'm sorry, honestly. Why were you creeping out?"

Maze blushed again, "I needed to check my messages and I didn't want to wake you. I didn't, did I?"

Now it was my turn to blush, "Been awake for a while. Just didn't want to wake you either."

We smiled at each other, shards of awkwardness scattering around the room. Maze opened her mouth to speak when her phone began to ring, she silenced it and shoved it into her shorts pocket. 

"Who's calling this early?" I asked.

Maze shrugged, not meeting my eyes, "Nobody. Do you want breakfast? Coffee?"

I nodded, "Coffee would be great..."

Maze nodded once before jerking the door open and practically running down the stairs into the kitchen. I dressed back into my clothes and shoes from the night before and felt my worries kick into gear. Was she regretting what happened? Was it too soon?

I made my way downstairs, following the delicious smell of coffee and toast and walked into the kitchen to find Maze ending a phone call. She blushed as our eyes met and I took the cup she offered me. 

"What do you want on your toast?"She asked as two slices popped up out of the toaster. Maze picked them up with the tips of her fingers and dropped them onto a plate. 

"Uh..just butter would be fine, thanks."

Heavier chunks of awkwardness began to form around us.

I placed my cup onto the kitchen table and walked over to her, my chest to her back and kissed her neck.

"Tell me what you're thinking, Maze. I can hear your brain whirring a mile a minute."

Maze said nothing but continued to spread butter onto the toast. I moved my hand and held her wrist softly.

"Maze, tell me. Is it..was it last night? Do you regret it?"

She said nothing and my heart dropped out of my chest and onto the floor. I backed away from her, shoving my glasses up my nose and exhaled.

"Well, shit."

Maze turned towards me, holding the plate between us. She looked sad and I wanted, no I needed,  to know why. 

"Maze.."

She swallowed hard, her blue eyes filling with tears, "Last night was amazing, Dyl. It was one of the best nights of my life."

I nodded slowly, "Ok..."

"I think we need to take things slowly. A lot of things are changing right now. You're going back to University, I have all this shit with Simon, I don't know if I even want to be here anymore.."

I held up a hand to stop her, "You don't want to be here anymore?"

Maze shook her head gently, "When I first moved here, Dyl, I was going to finish school and travel. I was going to stay here a year, max, and look where I am now?Five years later, a failed and utter disaster of a relationship and then there's you."

Hurt speared into the centre of my chest, "What about me?"

Maze shrugged, "I didn't want to talk to you about this now, Dyl. Not after last night, what we shared but think about this realistically, do you think this is the right time for us to start a relationship? To start anything? I've barely managed to finish the last shit show I manage to get into and I just don't.."

"What? You think that you and I are going to have a shit relationship? I'm not Simon, Maze. In any way at all."

Cornflower blue eyes stared at me, full of tears.

I paced the length of the kitchen, "Were you even going to talk to me about this, Maze? Or had you already decided what would happen?"

Maze stared at the floor, "I think it would be best if we go back to the way we were. I love you, Dylan but I can't be with you just now. I hope you'd understand that."

I froze, a flurry of thoughts pushing their way through my head. Jeers from Simon, taunts from my Dad when he was drunk, seeing my Mum fade away on the hospital bed. Feeling absolutely useless and feeling absolutely unwanted. I glanced at Maze, the woman I loved and a shot of sadness ran through me. 

"Ok, Maze. You got it. We will go back to the way we were."

I walked out of the house without looking back, ignoring her calls for me because I couldn't look back at her. I couldn't make myself look at her without wanting to throw myself at her feet and beg her to change her mind, for me, for us. 

I glanced up at the sky as the streaks of pink and red cut across the lightening sky.

Red sky in the morning, shepherd's warning.

Well, fuck me.