DYLAN

I sipped my coffee watching as Dad and Maze's Auntie Jem laughed at something Dad had said. We were sitting on the terrace at our house and the sun was beating down despite the early hour. I'd made my way down into the kitchen early so that I could go for a run and had bumped into the two of them kissing next to the fridge.

I don't care what age you are, seeing your Dad practically inhale someone else's face will never be a good thing. 

"So, Dylan," Jem said, smiling at me. "What do you want to do now you've finished University?"

Jem was a pretty woman, dark hair all bundled up in a knot at the top of her head with bright green eyes. She was petite and reminded me of a pixie. Dad couldn't take his eyes off of her. When Jem smiled at me, I saw Maze and my heart ached. 

I shrugged, "I'm not sure. There's a couple of things I'm thinking about. I'd like to go into teaching."

Dad tore his gaze from Jem and looked at me, "Teaching? English?"

I nodded, "Yeah, like Mum."

Dad watched me as if he thought I was doing this to have a dig at him but when he realised that I wasn't, he smiled at me.

"She'd have loved that, Dyl."

I pushed my glasses up the bridge of my nose and stretched, "Right, I'm going to head out for a run before it gets too hot. See you guys later."

Dad smiled again but Jem gathered the coffee cups and followed me back into the kitchen.

"Dylan.."

I turned as Jem placed the cups onto the table and touched my shoulder, "I just want to say thank you. I know this couldn't have been easy but I'm so glad that I could meet you. You are all your Dad talks about and as for Maze, well.."

"What do you mean?" I interrupted.

Jem raised an eyebrow at me, "Well Maze, she talks about you a lot. How proud she is of you and Mike for going to University. Whenever she bumps into you, the whole family hears about it. She's very fond of you all."

My heart thundered in my chest. It had been four days since Maze's party and I'd decided to give up and start moving on, Rachel seemed like a nice person and we had made plans to see each other next weekend at the Clocktower. I just wish I could stop my body from having such visceral reactions when I thought of Maze or someone mentioned her. 

"...you know she had such a horrible relationship with her mum and.." Jem continued, jolting me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry?"

Jem looked puzzled, "Maze's mum, my sister, she.. she wasn't a happy person, Dylan, things happened and she dragged her and Maze into it. Maze never knew her Dad. The courts wanted to put Maze into care but we petitioned to let her live with our family here and they accepted. Didn't she tell you this?"

I gave my head a small shake, "We don't talk very much about that sort of thing. Si would know though, I suppose."

Jem frowned at the mention of Si's name then blinked it away.

"I've said too much, I think. I assumed you knew. I'd appreciate it if you kept this to yourself?"

I nodded and Jem smiled at me in thanks.

"Have a good run, keep safe."

 *

I ran along the coast line and followed a route favoured by the runners in the town. When I finished, I jogged slowly back to the beach and kicked off my trainers. It wasn't even ten and the sun's rays beat down onto the sand, making it hot to stand on. Sweat ran down my back as I yanked my t-shirt off, threw it next to my trainers with my glasses and hopped towards the shore line.