DYLAN

I sat on one of the loungers on our balcony and looked out over the cliffs. The breeze was gentle, bringing relief on one of the hottest days of the year. I could hear the patio door slide open and a cup of coffee was placed onto the small table next to me.

My dad sat on the lounger next to mine but, instead of relaxing back, he perched on the end and stared at me. I slid my sunglasses down my nose and looked back at him. 

He'd changed. A lot. The last time I had seen him, his skin was greying and his eyes were dull. Dad had stumbled into the kitchen where I had been making dinner and had tripped into the edge of the countertop. I'd tried to help him up but he'd scrambled up and pushed me away. I'd grabbed his jumper to steady myself and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor with blood flowing from my nose. 

Dad had steadied himself and staggered from the room, leaving the room without a second glance my way. That had been the Christmas after I'd began University and since then we hadn't spoken. I would come home, he would be passed out drunk  or out drinking with his friends and I would spend as much time as possible in my room avoiding him. 

This was not the Dad I'd remember, the man sitting in front of me was completely changed. His skin was tanned and healthy, his dark brown eyes were bright and he looked happy and full of life. 

"How are you?" He asked and I blinked slowly, he even sounded different. His voice was no longer cracked and hoarse, it was strong and full of confidence. 

"Good."

"How was your last term?"

"Good, just need to wait on my last exam results."

"That's good," he nodded, slowly. "Good."

We sat awkwardly staring at each other, willing each other to make the first step. If Mum was here, she would have tapped us both on the back of our heads and told us to hug it out. Now that she wasn't here, I didn't know who was going to do this for us.

"I heard you were seeing someone, one of Maisie's aunts," I said slowly.

Dad's eyes widened, "Yes, I have. Jem. She moved here about a year ago and has a small jewellery shop on the sea front. She's... she's brilliant, Dylan. I'd like you to meet her."

"Ok, we can do that."

"Really?" Dad said, shock filling his voice.

"Sure. I'm glad you found someone, I hope you're happy."

Dad's eyes filled with tears, "Dylan, you don't know how glad I am to hear you say that. I mean, when you stopped coming home and not answering my calls, I..I just.."

"Wait, what?"

"You haven't been home in such a long time," he began and I scoffed loudly.

"I've been here, Dad. I've always fucking been here. You were just too pissed out of your head to notice."

"Dylan, watch your tone with me," I heard Dad's tone change, a reminder of what he could be like when he was drunk flashed through my head.

I scrabbled to my feet and shoved my phone and keys into my pocket. 

"Dylan, wait. We need to talk about this. Please."

"Not now. I can't talk to you about this now."

I walked down into the garden and down the path along the coastline, hoping that he didn't follow and praying that he would.