DYLAN- THREE YEARS ON

I'll never forget the first time I saw Maze in the canteen. It's one of those images that I can always pull up from the recesses of my mind and remember it like it was yesterday. I can smell the food, Mike talking in the background and her blue eyes. 

The little snippets of time that I shared with Maze throughout the years were nuggets of gold that I kept close to my heart. I wonder if she'll ever know how much I love her. 

I exhaled loudly and ran my hand through my hair, feeling the short cut under my fingers. I'd been studying so much that everything fell to the side, apart from being with Maze. I glanced up at the entrance to the studio as Maze locked the door, bounded down the steps and into my arms. 

"I missed you," she mumbled, pressing her face into my chest. 

I held her close, still amazed that I could do that and that she would let me. I dropped a kiss onto her head and she looked up, her long blonde hair jammed underneath a navy blue hat.

"I missed you too, Maze. Let's go for a walk?"

She nodded and linked her fingers with mine. We set off along the coastline.Maze talked and I listened, laughing at the latest antics the kids in her yoga classes had caused. Rory was no longer a baby, three years old now and a big brother to Freya, and he loved Maze. Mike and Hannah would joke that she was the only one that got him to sit still for a solid five minutes. 

"Enough about me, how was your classes?"She asked, smiling at me. 

I told her about my classes, the success I'd felt when a shy boy in one of them stood up in front of everyone and explained perfectly the meaning of the book we'd been discussing. It was moments that like that one that made me certain in my decision to become a teacher.

Maze nudged me, "You ok, Dyl?"

I looked at her, the tip of her nose red from the cool air. Her smile, bright as always. 

"I'm great, Maze. Come on."

I gave her arm a gentle pull as we made our way closer to our destination. Maze seemed puzzled as we made our way onto the sand then let out a gasp of delight as we inched our way into the crevice in the rocks.

"Dyl! We haven't been here in..oh!" Maze stopped, her hand covering her mouth, her eyes filled with tears. 

Lit candles covered every surface, their combined heat allowing me to unzip my jacket. I walked towards the crack in the wall and pulled out a small box. Maze stood still, watching me.

I knelt down on one knee in front of her and held onto her hand.

"Do you remember the first time we were here together?"

She nodded, tears sliding down her cheeks. I wanted to brush them away but I stopped myself, I had to do this before I completely lost my nerve.

"I remember that kiss. I remember wishing that you were mine and we had each other for always because, for as long as I can remember, that's all I've ever wanted with you Maze. I want to be there when you wake up and you demand your coffee so that you can feel human, I want to be there when you're sad from watching the News, I want to be there when you discover a new book or have a great class. I want to be with you for always. You're my stars, Maze. I can't have anything else unless you're there with me."

I opened the box and she sank down onto her knees in front of me, drawing me into a kiss. A kiss that I want to have with her forever.

I pulled away, resting my forehead on hers, "Will you marry me, Maze?"

Maze nodded, "I love you, Dyl. Of course, I will."

We kissed again, hard. I knew as I drew her closer, breathing her in and feeling her against me that this was going to be another memory that I'd have forever. 

Just like I'd have Maze.