MAISIE

I felt fear grip my chest as I walked with Si, his arm wrapped around my shoulders. He shifted slightly and then his arm was wrapped around my neck, tightly. He reached into my pocket and pulled out my mobile and shoved it into his coat pocket. I swallowed hard but said nothing, letting him guide me towards his car. I fidgeted and Si stared down at me.

"What?"

"Bee. I drove us here."

Si scoffed and pushed me away, "Fine. Leave the keys for the prick."

I reached into my pocket and gripped the keys in my fist. I stumbled towards Bee and then pulled the door open hard. I could smell Dyl's aftershave in the car and I breathed deeply. I knelt down and kissed the keys before tucking them into the side pocket.

"I'm sorry," I whispered to Bee, hoping that she and Dyl would understand why I was leaving them. It's sometimes hard to show people how much you care but you have to try, in the best way you can.

I closed the door and walked back toward Si's black car, the engine already idling and Si texting on his phone. I slid into the passenger seat and was tightening my seatbelt when Si revved the engine and we sped back into town. 

I stared out the window, watching as everything flew past. I couldn't believe how quickly everything had changed. How happy I had been driving with Dyl this morning and how, now, I felt..completely numb.

Si said nothing and I waited, knowing that anything I said or did would make whatever was coming worse. We pulled up outside my flat and he stared straight ahead, both hands on the steering wheel.

"We're going to the Clocktower tonight," he said firmly.

"I'm not going to the Clocktower, Si," I replied. 

Si said nothing. 

I swallowed hard. This was it, I was going to tell him. 

"Simon. I don't want to do be with you anymore. This isn't working. You know it isn't. I think it's time that we finished this."

He said nothing and instead of feeling relief, this deep burning dread burrowed up from my throat. I looked at his profile, the features of a model- his nose slightly upturned at the end, his mouth turned down at the corner, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Simon?" I leaned forward to try and catch his eye then my head was hitting the dashboard, his fingers gripping my scalp tightly. I gasped, the leather hard against my face. 

"You think you can leave me, Maze? You think you have any choice in what happens here, with us?"He pushed harder, I felt cartilage crack and I felt blood trickle out of my nose.

"I don't..want..to...be with you," I forced out. 

He squeezed his hand tighter against my scalp, his nails digging into my skin. 

"If you leave me, I'm going to kill you Maze. Do you understand that? I'm not just going to kill you but I'm going to fucking kill Dylan."

He let go and I sat back in the chair, my hand up to my nose stemming the blood. 

"You wouldn't kill Dylan," I whispered.

Si turned and looked at me, his green eyes fixed on me, "You're right. I wouldn't. What I would do is make it that he would be eating out of a straw for his entire life."

He blinked slowly as if he didn't want to take his eyes off me for a second, "Don't underestimate me, Maze. Dylan stopped being my friend, the fucking minute he decided he wanted to take you away from me."

"I need you to leave me alone, Simon. It's over."

Si smirked, "No, it isn't. Now, I'll be back to get you in an hour to go to the Clocktower. Wear something nice. Now, get out."

He turned and looked straight ahead again, "Get out, Maze before I come and drag you out by your hair."

I opened my door and stepped out on shaking legs, "Simon, I'm not doing this. Stop asking me. I need you to listen. We're over."

Simon laughed, a cold harsh sound. 

"One hour, Maze. You better be ready, you will not like what happens if you aren't. Be.fucking.ready."

I slammed the door shut and he peeled away. I watched his car round the corner and I fell onto the ground, my legs giving way beneath me. 

I knew what I had to do. 

He was right. 

I had to be fucking ready.

He better be too.