DYLAN

I stomped angrily down the coast walk, kicking loose stones out of my way like a grumpy teenager. I was angry, so bloody angry  at everything but, more than anything, I was bloody angry at myself. 

I spent the last five years of life chasing a girl who is with my best friend. Although, I'm not sure that we are even friends anymore, not the way we used to be. I've managed to survive with my Dad being a less than stable parent and missing a Mum that isn't here anymore. I've had enough. 

I followed the route, getting further away from the house and everyone. I just needed some space. I broke away from the route after a mile and followed a smaller path down towards the beach. I'd found this crack in the cliff face when I was younger, when Mum was still here and I didn't understand the frequency of doctors and nurses that would come in to check on her. Dad was already starting to claw into himself and the pressure had been too much. I'd scaled down onto the beach and found a recess in the cliff face and when I edged my way in, it opened into a large circular space filled with sand. I'd lie there and just think, try to calm my breathing and not feel so sad. 

I pulled off my socks and trainers and walked across the sand towards the recess when I spotted a small figure curled up on a large rock close to the water. I stopped and looked at it as the figure straightened up, shrugged off their jumper and jeans and dove into the water.It was a woman. I watched and waited for her to burst through the water again but as the seconds ticked past, nothing happened. 

Shit.

I yanked my t-shirt over my head and pulled my glasses off throwing them both onto the sand, thankfully I was wearing my swimming shorts and ran towards the water. I glanced around and saw nobody. I waded in and, as soon as I could, I dove under and swam towards the rock.

"Hello?" I called, paddling on the spot. 

I dove under and broke through the surface again when someone called out to me, "What are you doing?" 

I swam around the rock and saw the last person I wanted to see clinging to the rock. 

Maze.

I swam towards her and grabbed the rock with my hand. 

"What were you doing? You could have been hurt! When I didn't see you come back up, I.."

"Thought you'd be a lifeguard from Baywatch?" She teased. 

Frustration rose up in my chest, "Dammit Maze, I was scared. I thought you were hurt."

Sadness flashed in her eyes as I turned and swam back around the rock and back to the shore. 

"Dyl, wait!" I heard her call behind me. 

I walked out of the water and gave my head a shake, water spraying everywhere. I glanced over my shoulder and really wish I hadn't. Maze was wearing a dark purple bikini and she looked...bloody hell. I swung my head back and shoved my glasses on. Still facing away, I reached behind me with my t-shirt. 

"Put this on, please." I said. 

Maze took the t-shirt and by the time I turned around she had pulled it over her head. The bottom of it hit her thighs. I tore my gaze from her legs and realised that seeing her in my t-shirt was not helping me..at all. 

"Lets get your things," I muttered and stomped towards the rock where she'd left her clothes. I pulled myself up, grabbing the oversized jumper, jeans and flip flops then slid back down to her. 

"They're soaking," I told her. Maze said nothing.

I could barely look at her because I knew if I did, I'd want to kiss her. My chest was aching with the sheer will of it.