18. Drunken braveness

You were as drunk as never before. You could just walk straight enough, but you were singing, dancing, shouting on the street like a teenage girl. You were holding Izzy on your shoulder as she was close to passing out.

Clary and Jace have left the party way before you, leaving you two to enjoy the night without a parental word from any of them. In result, you both got wasted. However you didn't mind. After your little incident with that disgusting creature, you actually had an amazing night.

You stepped into the Institute, pulling your parabatai's body after yourself. You headed straight to her room and placed her in a sitting position next to door, while trying to find her room key in her bag.

"Damn it." You cursed as you couldn't seem to be able to locate her key.

"Is everything okay?" Your heard the voice you least expected. You turned around and found yourself in front of the eldest Lightwood sibling.

"Peachy." You said chuckling at your own words. God, you just realised how drunk you actually got.

"Peachy?" He asked back in confusion. You knew, that he knew, that you would never talk like that in a sober state. He took the bag from you and searched for Izzy's key. He found it immediately. You cursed yourself for being so useless in such crucial moment. He lifted up his sister from the floor and laid her down on her bed. He placed her bag on her nightstand along with her key right after taking off Izzy's shoes and placing them next to the bed. He went inside the bathroom, poured some water for the morning and placed it next to the bag and key. As he walked out and closed the door behind himself, he stopped in front of you.

"Don't you think, you have overdone yourselves today?" He asked and you just rolled your eyes in response. "Very mature." He stated and you just smiled at him sweetly.

"You are cute when you are angry." You chuckled.

"If I recall well, you promised to stop with these remarks." He reminded you. You started pouting, but soon your smile returned as you followed Alec to his office. It was 3am and he was still working, but you didn't mind. It meant you could have watched him longer.

He sat down on his chair and pulled himself closer to his table. He took out a file on top of hundreds of other files and started reading them. You didn't waste time and decided to use this time to get back some of the times you have missed when avoiding him. You couldn't even remember why you were avoiding him. You missed his sarcastic remarks, his eye-rollings, his annoyed expressions, his rude responses. You decided to sit down in one of the chairs on the side of his table. He looked up at you for a second, but didn't say anything. He immediately went back to his files. However after a couple of minutes of you starring at him and him trying to avoid feeling uncomfortable, he put his files down and looked straight into your eyes.

"Can I help you?" He asked feeling a bit annoyed

"Can I help you?" He asked feeling a bit annoyed. You just chuckled at his reaction.

"By the Angel, you look so handsome." You blurted out. His eyebrows ran high even though he tried to hide his surprise at your honesty.

"Y/N, we have talked about it." He had a warning tone to his voice.

"I don't understand." You shook your head in response. "Why can't I just say what I think?" You questioned him.

"Because you are making me uncomfortable." His reply was firm, but there was something else in his voice, which you couldn't understand. Seemed like hesitation.

"But I like you. Whys is it a problem?" You asked bluntly. He hid his face in his hands, frustration clearly showing in his body language. But you were too drunk to care.

"It's not a problem. I am flattered." He replied weakly. "But I can not return your feelings and it makes it so much more uncomfortable.

"If it's flattering, than why can't you like me? What's wrong with me?" You asked desperately.

"Nothing! By the Angel, Y/N, nothing!" He replied immediately. He shook his head trying to organise his thoughts.

"But there is something that makes it impossible for you to like me." You smiled painfully. "Is it because I am too loud? Is it because I am not as serious? Is it maybe because I am not as attractive?" Your insecurity was clearly showing, but you didn't care. You were talking to Alec and you trusted him.

"It has nothing to do with any of them." He sighed. "You are extremely beautiful just the way you are. You are smart, smarter than you think. You are strong, which makes people unable to take their eyes off of you when you fight. Your humour and sarcasm are just perfectly matching your lively character. There is not a thing that's wrong with you." You were so confused. The way he talked about you was almost adoring. You didn't understand if he thinks of you so highly, how could he not like you.

"Then please tell me. What is it?" Your voice was almost begging. You walked up to him and squatted down next to his chair, looking up into his dark eyes.

"Y/N, you have to understand. I have to concentrate on the Institute and the missions. I do not have the time and energy to put into a relationship."

"So do you plan to live your life alone and lonely? The Institute, the Clave, the missions will not hug you at night, they will not worry about you when you get injured." You tried to convince him.

"I know, Y/N." His soft voice mentioning your name, made you melt inside.

"Then give it a try." You told him. You could clearly see he was debating. "You don't have to tell me that you like me. You don't have to force yourself to love me. You don't have to force yourself to do anything. But give me a chance to show you that it is good to be loved." You explained and you clearly saw on his face that he was thinking hard what to say.

"If..." He started and your eyes widened in surprise. "If... I go along with it, and we try whatever is there between us," Once again your hopes jumped high at his use of words. "it can not interfere with the missions, nor the job I am doing in the Institute or for the Clave. Understood?" You wanted to say something, you wanted to react. But you froze. "Do you understand?" He tried again.

"Wait, does that mean, you are giving us a chance?" You asked in disbelief. "As in to date?" You tried to clarify the situation.

"Only if you agree to the conditions." He stated calmly.

"Hell yeah." You jumped up happily. "By the Angel, Alec, I don't think you understand how happy I am." You laughed excitedly.

"I think I do

"I think I do." He smiled at your cheerful reaction. You didn't want to ruin things and before you could have done or said anything you regretted, you started walking backwards.

"Let me leave, before you change your mind or I wake up from this dream." You chuckled in content. "Good night, Alec." You waved at him and ran to your room.

You were way too happy to think about anything else. You were just sitting in your room smiling. You looked like a completely insane person, but you couldn't care less. Alec agreed to date you and you were feeling like the happiest person alive.