Chapter 02 | a sister's hypocrisy

"In most fictional worlds, it's a universal truth that; the wrong bride might just be the right one in most cases, and believing in it is key..."

My Goodness!

That was the end? No kiss?

I fell on my knees, sobbed my heart out, and flung the novel across my room.

The story wouldn't have ended up this way if my favorite character hadn't been assassinated.

Horrible, horrible author!

To worsen the situation, there was no sequel, nor a prequel, to this book.

It ended with an open question that tore me apart; Are happily ever after real?

Like pepper was squirted into my eyes, a few droplets of tears watered down my cheeks.

Hmm, what a sad case.

So, I was awake throughout the night to witness such a tragedy?

Shouts eloped from downstairs.

"Ellis, hurry up. Get out of bed."

She was at it again, disclosing her craziness.

The last time Megan screamed my name from downstairs, I whacked my head against the closet and went unconscious.

Everyone in our neighborhood despised her eerie voice, for she was always hitting very high notes like a crazy woman.

"Guess who just received a present for Valentine's Day?!"

Of course, she must have gotten a parcel from Dylan, that's why she couldn't stay without flaunting it in my face.

"Give me a minute," I stood on my feet and slipped into my pink flip-flops.

I was downstairs as soon as the door to my room banged after me.

"Get yourself a boyfriend," she hissed and dropped multiple trendy bags on the well-sculptured glass framework that stood in between us. "And, stop staring at my desk, nothing is yours."

I nibbled my lips while struggling not to tighten my fist.

Just because she was dating didn't give her the right to get me upset with my decision not to have a boyfriend.

"Keep your opinion for yourself," I smiled and settled into one of our couches. "It's not needed."

It was only a matter of seconds before her laugh filled my private bubble.

She closed the distance between us.

"Listen to me very carefully," her green hazel eyes, a feature we both inherited from our dad, glared into mine.

"On Valentine's Day, your mates are receiving flowers. They are cracking up with their boyfriends and enjoying their youth. If you wish, stay here and wait for your creator to send your boyfriend from heaven. I hope he will not pass you by. You risk dying lonely."

Megan's tongue had venom which swooped like lightning on my heart.

"I've had enough! You talk a lot. Let me be." I rushed out of the couch to dash upstairs to my room, but she caught my wrist and hurled me back to the couch. "Dang it! What do you want?"

She moved her face away from mine, adjusted her crop top, and posed like a stripper.

"I have a date tonight with Dylan. If you are interested, I might ask him to plead with one of his friends to manage you for tonight."

Ignoring Megan seemed best these days while waiting for our parents to get home from their forever romantic trip and see into the issue.

"I don't need assistance. Get lost!"

Megan snatched her bags from the slab, blew a kiss at me, and ran upstairs.

Her beautifully curled up dark brown hair tumbled down her back and bounced as she plopped her feet against each stair.

I rolled my eyes away from her ample pair of hips.

Why brag about a high school boy?

Aside from partying and casual sex, what else could he offer?