Chapter 30 | fitting puzzles concurrently

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

In my case, it seemed impossible to adopt an optimistic state of mind and a positive can-do attitude in the face of adversity.

Life hemmed me into the slacks of my wish, giving me a devil for a husband and a game-changer for an a-not-so-sure twin.

What would happen if Elizabeth doesn't come or was caught and our secret blew up in front of plus hundreds of socialites, not forgetting the Horton family?

Gosh!

Elizabeth's plan didn't stop creating chaos in my brain, rendering me speechless as Brielle fastened the grill silver lace crossing of my open-back-to-waist mermaid gown.

"Elizabeth, c'mon, you are doing it again. Can you stop spacing out of real life for like five minutes?" Brielle wiggled my cheeks and shot me a reassuring smile. "Let the crowd outside not be a problem, my brother is your shield forever."

Devil Horton, my shield?

A chuckle fluttered out of my lips, and I wiped a stray drop of tear out of my eye.

"Thanks for the sweet words. You are right, 'my shield won't let me down."

I didn't believe in my own words.

The knob to Dwain's room pushed open, and my eyes rolled past Brielle's to meet the gorgeous intruder.

Behold, by the door, my husband, leaned, dressed in his unbuttoned and sophisticated white tuxedo, stained with shades of black.

Shiny black shirt, straining his torso down to his waist and tucked into glittering white slim pants.

"Are you ready?"

He asked and yanked himself from the way, his eyes not letting go of my face as a few logs of hair brushed his face.

Dwain's black polished leather shoe creased the blue rug as he strode towards me. "Everyone is waiting for us."

His eyes were buried in mine, sucking the breath out of my lungs as they slipped to my dangerous neckline.

My collarbone, shoulders, and tiny bits of my breast were out on display.

Brielle cleared her throat. "Sure, she's set for tonight, " she giggled and excused herself, " I should get going."

She held onto the gathers of her blue long sleeve mermaid gown, the curls of her hair bouncing throw and forth to her back as she cat-walked out of the room; leaving me to My husband.

The atmosphere dropped to a freezing degree and silence lured itself between us, stealing the show.

For the past minutes, Dwain's stare lingered on me and I didn't miss the unconscious patting of his lips which followed the up-and-down movement of his adam's apple.

The thought of him checking me out starred butterflies in my belly.

Words from my messed-up brain stuttered out of my lips. "Is everything a-alright?"

He pressed his lips into a thin line, shifting his stare quick enough from my cleavage, "Nothing serious but for this. . ." He stopped talking and pulled out a jeweler's box, " I want you to wear this."

He slid the box open.

Gasping at the simple yet beautiful pair of diamond earrings, my heart fluttered when he offered to help me put them on.

My stillness gave him the go-ahead and his soft fingers maneuvered the folds of my ears; his lips propelling a whisper. "You look ravishing tonight Mrs. Horton."